Well Crap!! USSC 6500 Auger removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
So my USSC 6500 has been chugging along and working great ........... I get home today and it isnt running. It has an Er2 (empty hopper) message. Open the hopper and it's half full of pellets. I take a closer look and find this mixed in with the pellets. My guess is that the forklift pushed some of the cardboard into the bag when punctured it with the forks loading the pallet.
IMG_8785.JPG

I felt around and pulled out what I could. I turned it on and watched the Auger motor. I could see it spinning, but it was shifting around more than normal. Then I looked at the shaft that that goes to the actual auger and its not moving. My guess is that a piece of cardboard got sucked in to the auger and is jamming it up.
IMG_8786.JPG

IMG_8787.JPG

Figure I need to take it apart and clean it all out. I have never done it before. Any tips? I am assuming I need to empty the hopper of all the pellets. Then it looks like there is a plate that is covering the auger. I am hoping I can clean it out that way and not have to totally remove the auger and motor from underneath.

Guess I learned a lesson. Pay more attention to crap that could be in the pellets.

Last edited:
Also, If the motor is spinning but the auger shaft isn't would that mean that probably the auger motor gear box is stripped?

I have found them on line (part 80488) and am thinking I might just order one to be safe. If the one installed is still okay I would just have a spare.

Is that a shear pin on the auger shaft? Hopefully the shear pin would've gone before it stripped out the gear box..

Plan on tearing in to it tonight when I get home from work.
Don't forget the silicone to seal the top of the auger plate. Does not need to be high temp unfortunately it does take time to get hard enough not to gum up your pellets. 40 degrees here today, 70 by Friday.

Reactions: Jeremy6500
IMG_8794.jpeg

Found the culprit. It was wedged up at the top of the auger.

The r-clip/hitch pin that hold the motor to the auger was still intact. Gotta read through my manual to see if there is a button to manually spin the auger to see if the auger motor is still good or not.
IMG_8795.jpeg

Reactions: webfish
Ended up sacrificing an extension cord to test. Auger spins like it should when power is applied. We will have to make sure when the hopper has pellets, but if it doesn’t the motor is easy to change. I’m gonna toss the pellets I pulled out of the hopper since they’re maybe more cardboard in them that I missed. Just have to caulk the top of the auger cover and I will be back in buisness
IMG_8797.jpeg

Reactions: ARC
Always good to have a test cord. When hooked back up if you start stove then push and hold the on button the auger will turn until you release the button. That is how you prime the auger with pellets.

Reactions: Jeremy6500
Always good to have a test cord. When hooked back up if you start stove then push and hold the on button the auger will turn until you release the button. That is how you prime the auger with pellets.
Thanks

Having a test cord is helpful. The real test will be if I can remember where I put it the next time I need it……

Reactions: ARC