Barn stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fishingpol said:
Nice work guys, you take sheds to the next level. I wish mine wasn't so full of stuff.

Thanks, well you could build another one. :)

Don2222 said:
Danno77 said:
Can I get a quick summary on this?
You have a double pole 30amp in the main breaker box. Then ran 10-3 to a sub panel, where you have two 20amp breakers that feed into 12/2 wires. At that sub panel you have a grounding rod and the neutral feeds back to the main and the ground to the grounding rod. Sound right?

Yes that is correct. Also I dug the trench 2 - 3 feet deep but the electrical code is 18 inches, then at 12 inches I layed out the red warning ribbon in case someone digs there!
I think this is exactly what I'm planning on, but am considering conduit. I'm also exploring options for running water, sewer and maybe even NG out there. My shed sits down a slope from the house, so I'm exploring macerators. If I start burying other things, then I need to figure out the codes for where they can sit in relation to each other.

Running 12-2 tonight. Loads of fun. Just picked up my christmas present of 2x4s from sis. These will be shelves in a couple of days for the workshop portion of the barn.

Danno77 said:
Running 12-2 tonight. Loads of fun. Just picked up my christmas present of 2x4s from sis. These will be shelves in a couple of days for the workshop portion of the barn.

Hey Danno

That is what I am doing also!! Just ran 12-2 to 3 outside ac outlets on the shed!! One by the shed door to do some messy wood cutting outside. Two other outlets under the soffits (Front and back) for the exterior rope lighting when I get it! The dome cover will keep the water out when they are plugged in!! 20 amp sockets for More Power of course!!

See Pics below.

BTW. Do you use the Green Grounding wires with screws and u shaped lug sold at Lowes?? I used 14 of them. Real Handy!
See 1st pic

Also what are you wiring tonight. I am interested since I am doing this stuff too! :)

Attachments

• TRHshed300sc.jpg
    TRHshed300sc.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 228
  • TRHshed310sc.jpg
    TRHshed310sc.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 208
  • TRHshed320sc.jpg
    TRHshed320sc.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 207
  • TRHShed330sc.jpg
    TRHShed330sc.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 234
  • TRHShed340sc.jpg
    TRHShed340sc.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 226
Don2222 said:
BTW. Do you use the Green Grounding wires with screws and u shaped lug sold at Lowes?? I used 14 of them. Real Handy!
See 1st pic
I'm not using that. Should I be? Not really sure what it is exactly! For grounding I thought I'd just be pig tailing the wires to the one post on the outlet.

Also what are you wiring tonight. I am interested since I am doing this stuff too! :)
Just wire to boxes right now. About 6 outlets and a light switch and ceiling light. My goal is to get the wire ran so that I can put the insulation in the walls. I am not running the electricity out to the shed until spring/summer because the ground is starting to freeze.

Danno77 said:
Don2222 said:
See 1st pic
I'm not using that. Should I be? Not really sure what it is exactly! For grounding I thought I'd just be pig tailing the wires to the one post on the outlet.

Just wire to boxes right now. About 6 outlets and a light switch and ceiling light. My goal is to get the wire ran so that I can put the insulation in the walls. I am not running the electricity out to the shed until spring/summer because the ground is starting to freeze.

Well if you use metal boxes then those green wires make it easy to ground the outlet to the box. I have mostly plastic but the outside ones are metal and I have one metal inside box plus 6 metal junction boxes!

So if you wire the boxes then you can plug them into your extension cord for now?

The ground is really hard. I was lucky to get my feed in just before it froze up!

Good luck

Why do you have so many junction boxes?!?!

Danno77 said:

Well I just thought it would be easier to wire with the metal junction boxes at the top with ac and switched ac going thru them.

Then I run a wire from the box down to the outlet. If just the top outlet is on the switch, I run 12-3 to the outlet. This way the constant AC is on the white and black, then the red carries the AC to the top outlet when the switch is on.

I have two switches. One is for interior and the other is for exterior. Mostly the switch is for the LED rope lights I will be installing inside and out. The LED rope light last 20 years and is fairly cheap at Target department stores.

See Target Link
http://www.target.com/p/Philips-LED-Rope-Lights-9-Feet/-/A-13579211

Attachments

• TRHShed350sc.jpg
    TRHShed350sc.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 244
  • TRHShed360sc.jpg
    TRHShed360sc.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 243
  • TRHShed370sc.jpg
    TRHShed370sc.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 250
  • TRHShed380sc.jpg
    TRHShed380sc.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 249
  • TRHShed390sc.jpg
    TRHShed390sc.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 260
Danno77 said:

And no staples? Or has the NEC changed?

Nancy

PopCrackleSnap said:
Danno77 said:

Nancy
Yeah! Gotta have those staples. I've almost run out already!!!!

PopCrackleSnap said:
Danno77 said:

Nancy

Yes, but I did not finish putting them in since I am not done wiring. Thanks :)

Good show. Habitat for Humanity will make a perfectionist out of anyone. I speak from experience.

Nancy

with all this work is there any zoning issues and what about your home owners insurance does not look like you will be bringing your lawn mower in there?

looks good though wish I had that much time on my hands.

"Well if you use metal boxes then those green wires make it easy to ground the outlet to the box"
The outlets I buy have a grounding strap on the back of the outlet connected to the grounding screw so when you hook up to the ground screw the outlet is grounded, yours must not be that way correct?

oldspark said:
Well if you use metal boxes then those green wires make it easy to ground the outlet to the box
The outlets I buy have a grounding strap on the back of the outlet connected to the grounding screw so when you hook up to the ground screw the outlet is grounded, yours must not be that way correct?
That's the way mine have been, too!

Theory being that by grounding the outlet that the box is also grounded through the mounting screws, right? The other way I've seen is for the incoming ground wire to be looped around a screw in the metal box before landing on the outlet's green screw. I've never seen a seperate ground wire added between the outlet and the box.

I just dug a 90 foot long, 2 foot deep trench, and set a 1.5" and a 1" conduit inside between the house and my new shed. The 1.5" conduit will hold the power line for the 60 amp subpanel and the 1" conduit will hold phone and cable. I've never buried empty conduit before so this will be a new one for me to fish wires through. I sure hope it works.

Highbeam said:
Theory being that by grounding the outlet that the box is also grounded through the mounting screws, right? The other way I've seen is for the incoming ground wire to be looped around a screw in the metal box before landing on the outlet's green screw. I've never seen a separate ground wire added between the outlet and the box.

I just dug a 90 foot long, 2 foot deep trench, and set a 1.5" and a 1" conduit inside between the house and my new shed. The 1.5" conduit will hold the power line for the 60 amp subpanel and the 1" conduit will hold phone and cable. I've never buried empty conduit before so this will be a new one for me to fish wires through. I sure hope it works.

Good show Highbeam

How about some pics? We would sure like to see!! Nice to share our hard work!!

I just finished putting in 9 electrical boxes. Three on the outside and 5 on the inside of the new shed in 2 balanced 20 amp circuits.

Then I tried the 3 way switch in the house to see if it turned on the shed. BRPP @#@$$@%@# No!! I had a little miswire! LOL! Got the ohm meter out and checked the switch. The terminal I thought was the armature was not!! Why don't they just mark it?? Oh well nothing I could not fix!! So all set now just have to add the shed lighting! That will be the easy and most fun part!!!

oldspark said:
"Well if you use metal boxes then those green wires make it easy to ground the outlet to the box"

Correct OldSpark

Just used blank metal junction boxes. See pics above. They did have a threaded hole for the ground wire. So the green ground wire had a screw on one end and a U shaped lug on the other end. In the metal junction boxes I just stripped off the u shaped lug and twisted all the ground together. However on the metal weather tight outside boxes, the wires really came in handy! I screwed the end into the box and the u shape lug slipped right under the ground wire I bent to go around the green ground screw on the duplex outlet. This way the box is grounded to the outlet on the outside boxes. The inside boxes are plastic so the only place I used the green wire is on the three way switch to connect the switch to the two ground wires. I hate trying to wrap 2 12 gauge ground wires on the small green ground screw they put on the 20 amp outlets!!!!

Fish On said:
with all this work is there any zoning issues and what about your home owners insurance does not look like you will be bringing your lawn mower in there?

looks good though wish I had that much time on my hands.

Hello Fish On

No zoning issues here. I pulled a permit for the shed. The max size is 100 sqft if near the property line. My shed is just a little more than 1 foot away so 10'x10' max is what we built. I discussed with the town shed inspector very carefully about the wall hight using a prehung door with proper header and double top plate. He said that would be fine and meet the height restriction. So when the time came the permit was signed off real quick!! The electrical with the help of our really expert electricians on the forum left no stone unturned an inspected my pics posted!! That was really cool so the electric install meets all codes and man do I have POWER!!! With 240 vac running out to the shed and a sub panel of 2 - 20 amp circuits I can run almost anything!!

Thanks again everyone!!

As far as the lawnmower goes I don't think there is a problem.

Don2222 said:
I hate trying to wrap 2 12 gauge ground wires on the small green ground screw they put on the 20 amp outlets!!!!

You should have made a pigtail. Take those two ground wires and wirenut them together with a third 6" long piece of wire that attaches to the green screw on the outlet. I pigtail the leads for all outlets now except for the last one on the run of course. That way only three wires need to actually attach to the outlet. I also upgraded to the fancier outlets that have the design where you shove the wire into the hole and then tighten the screw which clamps the wire internally. It is much easier and more positive than bending hooks in the wire. Most GFCI outlets use this system as well.

I'll get some pics up in a new thread. I ordered 400 feet of 6 gauge copper wire last night. Ug. I'll be feeding a great big 125 amp subpanel with a 60 amp feeder. Should give me lots of room for breakers and flexibility for future upsizing of the service.

Never had a problem bending a hook and getting #12 wire on the ground screw on the outlet.

Don was trying to do two #12 hooks on one screw which can get tricky. I was always successful in making loops too but after using the better outlets that don't require it, it would be hard to go back to hooking.

oldspark said:
Never had a problem bending a hook and getting #12 wire on the ground screw on the outlet.

Yes one # 12 on a ground screw but 2 is a pain. So that is why I used the green wires. I just twist the bare grounds on the green wire and then slip the u-shaped lug under the ground screw on the outlet or switch. Much easier!

Yea I missed the multiple ground wre comment, more than one and they want to squirm around when you try and tighten them.

Status
Not open for further replies.