Barometric damper OK right off the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Jedi

Oct 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The folks who sold me the stove (coal stoker) said the barometric damper should be as close to the stove as possible. Is it OK connected directly to the stove as the first length of pipe? There will be an elbow next (the pipe connects to the rear of the stove), then the vertical piece to another elbow and out to the chimney.

OK, I looked at my neighbor's stove and his is indeed right off the stove, although his is a model where the pipe comes out the top as opposed to mine where it comes out the bottom rear. I am assuming, there fore, it is OK as the first piece off the stove. Di I just use regular stove pipe screws to hold it in place there? It seems like there will be quite a bit of pressure there from the weight/length of the pipe going up to the chimney (about 5' worth). The connector to the stove also seems to be made from the same cast iron as the stove itself. Is it even possible to dril through there? Or shuold I just be using furnace cement and hope it holds? (Not that that stuff isn't strong - I removed the old thimble that was cemented in many years ago, and believe me, it is strong!)

Status
Not open for further replies.