Baseboard and Distance to Combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
Are the baseboard and shoe moulding factored into the rear distance to combustibles? I always see the measurement from the back of the stove to the wall.

Our baseboard is 8" tall and so are the legs of our stove.

With the install I'm going through I can easily get the stove 6 1/2" from the wall (5" from wall pass-through + 1 1/2" from 90 elbow). The 8" baseboard is 3/4" wide. If we're measuring from rear of stove to the trim it should then be 6 3/4" off the wall.

The other option is I can go 8 1/2" off the wall (3" min wall pass-through + 4" section + 1 1/2" from 90 elbow). I would prefer to keep it closer to the wall though as the store is near a doorway.

Maybe I can just plane the baseboard down 1/4"? :p

The stove is a Jotul F 55.

Last edited:
The wooden baseboard is combustible so it must be outside the minimum clearance to combustibles.

Are the legs included in that measurement? Is the "rear" of the stove from the floor up, or the firebox area?
It is where ever the diagram shows in the manual but usually the stove body. I would strongly recommend against going with the absolute minimum clearance. Stoves move over time from the force of loading wood etc. If you are already at the min it won't take long to be to close.

It is where ever the diagram shows in the manual but usually the stove body. I would strongly recommend against going with the absolute minimum clearance. Stoves move over time from the force of loading wood etc. If you are already at the min it won't take long to be to close.

Thanks. Diagram show from the flue collar, actually 9" from the center of the flue collar. Then says 6" from the rear of stove to the wall, which obviously adds up on a 6" flue.

I realize being at the minimum is pushing it. But, I also remember someone saying their cat sleeps under their F55. Floor protection is ember only too (currently using 18 ga sheet metal). Is there going to be much heat at the bottom edge of the stove? I mentioned the stove legs are 8" and the baseboard is 8" — so the bottom rear of the stove would align to the top of the baseboard.

Maybe I could go modify the baseboard to 4" or something so it's well under the stove? I could also just go with the 8.5" distance though.

I should also say I'm not opposed to removing the baseboard entirely and doing some tile, sheet metal, etc... to give myself more room. I'm just curious if this area is even going to get hot at all relative to other areas (like around the flue collar).

Thanks. Diagram show from the flue collar, actually 9" from the center of the flue collar. Then says 6" from the rear of stove to the wall, which obviously adds up on a 6" flue.

I realize being at the minimum is pushing it. But, I also remember someone saying their cat sleeps under their F55. Floor protection is ember only too (currently using 18 ga sheet metal). Is there going to be much heat at the bottom edge of the stove? I mentioned the stove legs are 8" and the baseboard is 8" — so the bottom rear of the stove would align to the top of the baseboard.

Maybe I could go modify the baseboard to 4" or something so it's well under the stove? I could also just go with the 8.5" distance though.

I should also say I'm not opposed to removing the baseboard entirely and doing some tile, sheet metal, etc... to give myself more room. I'm just curious if this area is even going to get hot at all relative to other areas (like around the flue collar).
What I am saying is that I would never place the stove close enough to the minimum that the baseboard would enter into it. I usually add atleast 2"

Reactions: moresnow