Basement Bulk Head

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacques909

Aug 2, 2013
Maine
I have a bulk head and no door at the end of the stairs. I was wondering how many of you have a door. Last year which was our first winter in the house I used foam board to block the entrance of the stair way to the bulk head to block the cold draft. It was not perfect some cold air got in. I have heard mixed reviews about installing a door. I was wondering what people here have done. Thanks!

Ive been in a bunch of basements, and probably 90% have doors. Maybe down south would be less, but kind of need it in New England. Those steel bulkheads probably have a Negative R Factor.

Mice can slip in standard bilco bulkheads. Definitely install a solid core door door and weatherstrip it. If its on side of the house where the roof drips, plan on it being useless in winter as it will freeze up. I had one for a few years and replaced it with a dog house. No more mice and a heck of a lot easier in the winter plus I have rigging hooks in the ceiling to rig large objects into the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.