Basement door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jgib4

Dec 31, 2017
Maryland
above this door is a set of steps leading to a set of leaky Bilco doors. New bilcos have been ordered and will hopefully be in soon. My question is how much heat and cold transfer am I letting happen by keeping this old door. It’s solid wood, about 1/4 to 1/2 thick. I’ve thought about tearing the molding off and sealing then joint between the wall and door frame with caulk instead of buying a brand new outside door. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

Attachments

• A44BCAB5-8D3A-45BF-A386-5D02ACE73491.jpeg
    A44BCAB5-8D3A-45BF-A386-5D02ACE73491.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 183
Is that below grade all around? Any insulation on either side of those foundation/exterior walls?

I'd bet you aren't losing much more heat through that door than you're already giving up through the walls. If you were going to insulate the whole room than maybe it would make sense to also do something better with the door. Otherwise...I'd leave it. It's a pretty cool looking door!

My two cents only.

Is that below grade all around? Any insulation on either side of those foundation/exterior walls?

I'd bet you aren't losing much more heat through that door than you're already giving up through the walls. If you were going to insulate the whole room than maybe it would make sense to also do something better with the door. Otherwise...I'd leave it. It's a pretty cool looking door!

My two cents only.

No I half finished my basement last year. Left two walls bare and just painted, and added two but didn’t insulate. It is a cool looking door I agree. It has a sign on it that says Scott towels lol. The trim is pretty busted up so I may just replace that and caulk real good to help keep air from transferring if that’s the case.