Basement Reno - Convert Insert to Free Standing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looking good! What did you do with the old insert? just curious.

I am 14 gallons of paint into my basement reno and I feel ya. House renovation will hit the one year mark on the first. 750 sq ft of LVP floor to go down this week. No stove yet for me. It’s on the list but I’m kinda burned out with projects at this point. Dropping 20 ft of liner down and getting the insert up into place, knocking out the damper, while I sure could do it, just is more physical effort than I have in me at this point. I could pay the local stove guy but that more than doubles the cost of the second wood burner,
A budget insert.

I actually think the clean look of the steel pad was the most attractive part for me.
Thanks! I will post a wider pic once I get everything hooked up. Stove pipe is scheduled to be here today so fingers crossed I can light the first fire this evening.

I had originally intended to build a raised hearth with tile/slate/or stone but I got renovation fatigue and opted to go with the steel hearth pad.

I am 14 gallons of paint into my basement reno and I feel ya. House renovation will hit the one year mark on the first. 750 sq ft of LVP floor to go down this week. No stove yet for me. It’s on the list but I’m kinda burned out with projects at this point. Dropping 20 ft of liner down and getting the insert up into place, knocking out the damper, while I sure could do it, just is more physical effort than I have in me at this point. I could pay the local stove guy but that more than doubles the cost of the second wood burner,
A budget insert.

I actually think the clean look of the steel pad was the most attractive part for me.

Damn, that's a lot of paint - but I know exactly what you're sayin'! Demo, wall building, insulating, painting, flooring, etc. etc. - it adds up. I'm just waiting on some doors to finish up my reno - I started when all the Covid stuff hit (mid March) so I will be pushing 8 months. Going to be a while before I start another project I think.

I did pay someone to do the T connector install (I had an existing insulated liner).

Thanks for the compliment on the pad - I like it but the paint on it scratches really easily (kind of like paint on stove pipe). Dealer is going to send me some touch up paint which is nice.

Good luck with the rest of your reno!

I just finished spraying 7 doors. All the runs that defy gravity I am responsible for. Waited 3 weeks to hang them as I wanted paint to cure as much as possible before the kids started “living” with them.
Damn, that's a lot of paint - but I know exactly what you're sayin'! Demo, wall building, insulating, painting, flooring, etc. etc. - it adds up. I'm just waiting on some doors to finish up my reno - I started when all the Covid stuff hit (mid March) so I will be pushing 8 months. Going to be a while before I start another project I think.

I did pay someone to do the T connector install (I had an existing insulated liner).

Thanks for the compliment on the pad - I like it but the paint on it scratches really easily (kind of like paint on stove pipe). Dealer is going to send me some touch up paint which is nice.

Good luck with the rest of your reno!

Reactions: Nelson