Basement stove on cement floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heydan

I'm planning to install a wood stove in my basement on a cement floor. I'd like to minimize the amount of heat that gets radiated into the floor and dissipated into the ground. Is it possible to put some kind of insulating pad under the stove to reduce the amount of heat that gets lost into the floor?

You can put any kind of non-combustible material you want under the stove, but nothing's going to do a better job for you than a bottom heat shield installed on the stove, with an air space between the shield and the firebox. Raising the stove up off the floor somehow would help, and a blower kit might be a plus, as well. Regardless of what you do, there will be heat radiated to the floor beneath (as well as into the wall behind), and lost to you. Rick

fossil said:
You can put any kind of non-combustible material you want under the stove, but nothing's going to do a better job for you than a bottom heat shield installed on the stove, with an air space between the shield and the firebox. Raising the stove up off the floor somehow would help, and a blower kit might be a plus, as well. Regardless of what you do, there will be heat radiated to the floor beneath (as well as into the wall behind), and lost to you. Rick

I'm okay with heat radiating to the back because it's an internal chimney and that heat will make its way into the house. Love the idea of a bottom heat shield though.

I currently have a Regency I2400 insert and I notice that when the blower is off the hearth pad gets quite warm but when the blower is on it doesn't. So I'm thinking a blower might be important for a basement stove to reduce the amount of heat lost into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.