Basement versus crawl space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Everybody talks about insulating a crawl space. Either the floor above it or the foundation walls creating a warm zone.

What about an uninsulated unheated basement? I'm sure insulation would help, but why is not mentioned as much? Is there not as much benefit or is it assumed that basements are heated?

Which one is more important to insulate I have both under my house. A crawl space under one end and a basement under the other.

I've been asking myself the same question. I have an unheated, uninsulated basement. I've considered insulating the main level floor in the basement, but every time I've used an online calculator to see if it pencils out, it tells me to do other things first. It's one of the last on my list, but I'm not sure if it makes more sense to do additional attic insulation (I'm at the minimum) or the basement ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.