Bashing this idea is encouraged.. Let me have it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
First setup cooks very well, what does every one think? Someone told me to post on this page.

They told you to post here because your setup is unsafe, like all the other posts on this page. It was meant as sarcasm.

Your stove has a real danger of burning your shed down with whatever or whoever is in it.

You should not be running it the way it is setup. It is time to fix your setup properly, either with professional advise, or done completely by a professional.

Ultimately it is your decision, but consider yourself warned.

Reactions: bholler
I need to figure out how to put it though the wall safely and get the chimney higher up. It smoked a lot in the shed today.

I need to figure out how to put it though the wall safely and get the chimney higher up. It smoked a lot in the shed today.
There is no chimney on this stove. That is part of the issue. There also is no proper hearth, no proper wall shielding, clearances are off. The wall pass-thru is improper and there is no transition to chimney pipe.

The dilemma here is this is primarily an outdoor and tent stove with a small diameter flue, so there is no guidance and perhaps no product for things like the wall pass thru to do this well. Sometimes in the tiny house world you will see folks using 3" pellet vent and pellet vent accessories to solve the chimney problem. It is not approved for this use, but that is a better option than the current setup.

I thought a chimney is just a pipe going past the roof line?

Ya I’ll have to look at tiny house stove pipes and buy some 3” pipe and a pipe adapter

83918350_3440151362725542_5523766763759599616_o.jpg83551768_3440152022725476_4502166504158003200_o.jpg
What do you guys think of my new jumbo size heat re claimer? It only took a couple of 30 packs and some scrap metal.... should be able to heat the whole shop just off of the chimney heat!

Looks like an instant creosote producer if this is on a wood stove.

I assume that isn't actually yours right?
Its for sale on facebook market place for the low price of $225 I wonder how long that chimney fire will burn?

thumbnail (1).jpg

As a volly fd member here, I would say I see at least one true house fire a year caused by an improper stove install and I go on at least 15 chimney fires a year (visible flames, embers coming out the top or the fun black / brown smoke spewing out the chimney cap) We live in a fairly reasonable area to, but fire does not discriminate, you do stupid things, expect to get stupid results somewhere down the line.

I see the "wood burning furnace" (assuming the ammo box is supposed to be a furnace).

Now I am looking at "all supplies". The dryer duct is clearly very nice and well suited to be a flue for an ammo box.

What really sells it as a complete home heating solution is the "Weber Lighter Cubes", though. You know it's going to be a good furnace when it comes with Weber Lighter Cubes.

7/10, would like to see updated ad where it comes with plastic flexible hvac duct instead of rigid dryer duct, and a video of it burning a full load of "Weber Lighter Cubes".

Reactions: MainePatsFan
I see the "wood burning furnace" (assuming the ammo box is supposed to be a furnace).

Now I am looking at "all supplies". The dryer duct is clearly very nice and well suited to be a flue for an ammo box.

What really sells it as a complete home heating solution is the "Weber Lighter Cubes", though. You know it's going to be a good furnace when it comes with Weber Lighter Cubes.

7/10, would like to see updated ad where it comes with plastic flexible hvac duct instead of rigid dryer duct, and a video of it burning a full load of "Weber Lighter Cubes".

Geez, I just took a closer look at that "furnace". Is that field-expedient or what? Kickstands for legs or are those bent machine bolts?

Geez, I just took a closer look at that "furnace". Is that field-expedient or what? Kickstands for legs or are those bent machine bolts?

They're zinc plated carriage bolts.

Carriage bolts have a little square shoulder just behind the head that, according to The National Association Of Carriage Bolt Manufacturers, completely prevents heat transfer between the body of the bolt and the floor when the bolt is used in a furnace-leg application.

Or something. ;)

Reactions: Tech Guru
Regarding the original post and specifically the stove, Tractor Supply and Home Depot sells this stove and says this is good for "log cabins". Some people actually live in log cabins that they don't want to burn to the ground. I myself live in a timberframe home with a lot of very dry exposed pine posts and beams. How do these junk stoves get EPA certification, but my Englander doesn't?

Like another poster said when I first looked into buying a wood stove 14 years ago I saw these and not knowing anything considered them because they had an old fashioned look. It was only after researching more and finding hearth.com that I realized I should walk away very quickly.

Regarding the original post and specifically the stove, Tractor Supply and Home Depot sells this stove and says this is good for "log cabins". Some people actually live in log cabins that they don't want to burn to the ground. I myself live in a timberframe home with a lot of very dry exposed pine posts and beams. How do these junk stoves get EPA certification, but my Englander doesn't?

Like another poster said when I first looked into buying a wood stove 14 years ago I saw these and not knowing anything considered them because they had an old fashioned look. It was only after researching more and finding hearth.com that I realized I should walk away very quickly.

EPA certification probably isn't that hard if you offer one burn rate, and that burn rate is full throttle. Just keep drilling holes in the firebox until it passes. :)

In other news, that ammo box looking thing is a stove you can pay money for??? That is kinda shocking. :/

I couldn't find it on TSC or HD's websites, though I noticed that they do both sell this abomination:

Image8772113625364278336.jpg

Last edited:
That is kinda shocking. :/

I couldn't find it on TSC or HD's websites, though I noticed that they do both sell this abomination:

View attachment 266947
[/QUOTE]
Those box stove were single burn rate for years sort of LOL. When I was in high school I worked at a hardware store that sold those. I only remember selling 2 of them the first one an old man had it installed on his enclosed porch. He came back complaining he could not control the fire when I went to pick it up on the furnace cement had fell off the joints and few cracks they filled with it. The other we sold was our display model we kept it in the basement until fall so it got dusty. The boss told me to "make it pretty" so I used lemon pledge. That was another unhappy customer.

• Haha
Reactions: jetsam and ABMax24
Those box stove were single burn rate for years sort of LOL. When I was in high school I worked at a hardware store that sold those. I only remember selling 2 of them the first one an old man had it installed on his enclosed porch. He came back complaining he could not control the fire when I went to pick it up on the furnace cement had fell off the joints and few cracks they filled with it. The other we sold was our display model we kept it in the basement until fall so it got dusty. The boss told me to "make it pretty" so I used lemon pledge. That was another unhappy customer.

He probably did the first fire inside, too. If he knew anything about stoves he wouldn't have been buying that in the first place.

Pledge is mostly wax, isn't it? I bet that smokes up pretty good.

He probably did the first fire inside, too. If he knew anything about stoves he wouldn't have been buying that in the first place.

Pledge is mostly wax, isn't it? I bet that smokes up pretty good.
That was over 20 years ago but beat I remember was a house full of smoke and him saying a burnt lemon smell

Reactions: ben94122
Some of you who have been around may have remembered me telling folks here about a call I missed, but that the guys on the department told me about in vivid and graphic detail . . .

Toned out to a report of a chimney fire that had possibly spread to a wall.

Guys arrived to find a woodstove with a single wall pipe coming off the top for 4 or 5 feet and then it went horizontal . . . through an interior wall (no proper pass through), all the way across the adjoining room and then through an exterior wall (again, no proper wall pass through). At this point the pipe (still single wall) connected to a 90 degree elbow and went straight up for a few feet. The kicker was the outside of the chimney -- the elbow -- was supported by a 2 x 4 on a jack.

But wait . . . this gets even better . . . I still regret missing this call.

The home owner said he wasn't sure if there was a fire in the wall. Before the guys could get our thermal imager to look for hot spots or start taking some educated guesses as to where they should put some exploratory holes, the home owner decided they weren't acting fast enough, grabbed his own chainsaw and started cutting apart his exterior wall . . . in a large section.

There are some calls I really, really wish I had not missed. On the flip side, this was also a few houses down from the sewage treatment facility that called us out for "product on fire" -- I think this was one of the few times I actually was available for a call and opted to not respond as I had zero desire to wade around in human feces on fire.

161319635_893034174590799_6429977259518578005_o.jpg

That's a hell of a wood burner you got there--get the hose....Yea they looked good to me in the beginning for I could cook on it but decided against it not through knowledge but through the idea I could not see the flame--well I see the flame now coming out the wrong places so get the hose...Now we know for sure by seeing this actually---thanks..clancey

First time iv ever seen an aluminum rain downspout used as a flue pipe. What could possibly go wrong?