Basic Piping and Storage Design...Planning Phase please help!

maple1

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
In my case the heating system draws out of the hottest part of the tank. At the beginning of a burn my tank temperature may be 100° to 110°. However, at the end of a burn my tank my tank temperature may be 150° to 165°, but never as hot as the 175-185° water produced by the boiler.
This has me curious. My boiler output goes right to top of storage. So whenever I'm burning, the two temps are the same. How does your boiler put out 175-185 but storage is only 150-160? Also does your boiler also pull from coldest part of storage? (I think also recommended). If so that sounds like a very big boiler dT?

HardDrinkin'Lincoln

Nov 2, 2019
WA
Here's how my storage temperatures typically look after a 2 hour burn. These temps were from last night and the starting temp of the tank was 90°.
1590240932323.png

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
My house draws from the top of the tanks when the boiler is resting.I pull the hot from the top and don't mix it.I bring my water to around 185 before the boiler hits the shutdown.
Then the house draws from storage for the next 19 hours or so.
I don't mix my water,it gets used at whatever temp shows up.Cast Iron Rads throughout the top floors,one unit heater in the basement.