Battery problem with Jotul GF 300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JudeB

Nov 22, 2019
CA
I was told I could run this stove on battery power rather than plug in to an outlet. However, batteries were dying after a few days even when I didn't actually use the stove. The seller was finally convinced to exchange the battery unit. Now I'm up to maybe two week life for the batteries (and that's only using the stove on occasional days, and only for a few hours at a time). Question: do you use this stove on batteries? And what battery life are you getting?

The batteries are only for back up not daily use. If you do not have power at your property you should have purchased a standing pilot model. They require zero 110 power.

The batteries are only for back up not daily use. If you do not have power at your property you should have purchased a standing pilot model. They require zero 110 power.
Interesting, before I go back to my Jotul dealer (who says otherwise), can I ask if you work for Jotul or are a dealer?

I completely agree with Jotul Guy, I never recomend a proflame 2 or other non millivolt systems batteries only last so long,

Standing Pilot is the way to go.
Self-powering until the gas runs out, for the most part.
There will be OEM parts that fail, but they are readily available...

Thanks for your replies. The dealer says that my model is a combined version, which is supposed to offer the best of both worlds-- with a choice between IPI and CPI. Do I understand correctly that CPI is the same as standing pilot? Or are you saying there are no batteries at all in a standing pilot?

Yes CPI = Continuous Pilot Ignition.
It ACTS the same as a Standing Pilot
ONCE it's lit.
You will still need batteries or AC to get the pilot lit.
THEN throw the switch to IPI.

This is from the manual:

1574638124499.png