"Beautiful" new scrounge - with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Just answered an add on our version of craigs list for some free firewood. It was local and on my way home from work. When i got there i could not believe how nice, clean and regular the rounds were. Someone had done a nice job. The wood is a common hardwood around here Stringybark also known as Australian Oak which can grow up to 90 Metres 250 feet plus. This was baby one at 40 Metres and by the looks of it very nice and straight.

One of the easiest woods to split but i had to lift these big boys into the back of the ute. not sure how heavy they were but there was a lot of huffing and puffing..... i will go back tonight with my fiskars in hand.

WP_20150330_001.jpg WP_20150330_002.jpg WP_20150330_003.jpg

Nice score, every once in a great while you come across a good scrounge like that.

i know - i couldn't believe how uniform they all were - hope to get as much of it as i can. I guessed around ~ 2 cords or about 6 trips for me and my ute.

i know - i couldn't believe how uniform they all were - hope to get as much of it as i can. I guessed around ~ 2 cords or about 6 trips for me and my ute.

Wow, nice score! Get as much as you can!

All gone - i made 4 trips at ~ 1/3 cord a trip so just over a cord. i had to split the wood where it sat in the end as they seemed to be getting heavier....... it split with one hit with the fiskars. The guy who's wood it was couldn't believe i could split the big rounds with the little fiskars. he showed me how he was splitting the rounds and i managed to educate him. He was trying to split the rounds across the grain splitting the round in half. I told him the best way to split this type of wood is to start at the edge and work your way around. He had a try with the fiskars and he was converted from his 5lb maul ==c

Now where am i going to put all this wood....... that's another topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.