Bedroom install ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcook430

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2015
Ashland Ky
Has anyone ever installed a.pellet stove in a bedroom. I have a p43 installed in main living area of house. Really nice house bought over a year ago, built in 2002 but not insulated well. Tons of windows and I guess not good windows. It would cost a fortune to replace all the windows and 2 french doors. The master bedroom is large and has a small hall to the master bathroom. Ther is no way to get heat from pellet stove back there due to the lay out of the house. Add the.fact that windows are poor the master bedroom and bath are always freezing cold. I thought about moving P43 to bedroom /hall /masterbath and maybe buy a p61 or another p43 for main living area. My concerns are in master bedroom are : 1. Too much light from fire. 2. CO2, 3. Noise. What do you experts think?

I don't think I could sleep with the noise.

It is not recommended, for safety reasons.

Reactions: bogieb
Check local codes.

"Generally" a heating appliance in the bedroom that BURNS anything is not allowed.

But call your local building dept and see waaaaasssssup

I'd ask the building department and your insurance company, if you plan on doing it legit. If your just gonna do it I'd make sure you get a stove that won't bake the bedroom.

Nonsense! How could it be safe in the living room and not in a bedroom?
You're sleeping in close proximity to a fire, for one thing. Most stove manuals (mine included) forbid installation in a bedroom.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
Here, they allow gas fireplaces in bedrooms. But I have never seen anything else. I would check with your local building inspector to see if it is okay and with your homeowner insurance. Also check with your local dealer and see if they would install one in a bedroom. If you decide to go ahead with it, I would think about having the dealer do the install. That way if any local official has a problem, the dealer will have to fix it to get it right. Make them pull (get) the permits if needed.

From my Quadra-fire Castile manual :
1. Appliance Location
NOTICE: Check building codes prior to installation.
• Installation MUST comply with local, regional, state and
national codes and regulations.
• Consult insurance carrier, local building inspector, fire
officials or authorities having jurisdiction over restrictions,
installation inspection and permits.

But you can buy an old house that has a fireplace in a bedroom.
Some friends bought a 1910 vintage place (Huge with 6 bedrooms) and all but two have fireplaces.

The are keeping them and have rebuilt the chimneys on all of them.

?????
That's an old place though

Code and regulation are funny sometimes. What if I fall asleep in living room with the pellet stove on. Am I safe versus falling asleep in bedroom with a pellet stove. I have seen honeymoon suites with fireplaces close to sleeping quarters.

I would love to have a stove in the bedroom. If i had the room i'd put it there anyway. Unfortunately, our master bedroom is not that big and we have a king size bed in there. no possible way with clearances. When we go away our rooms always have fireplaces right in the bedroom. I wonder why theres such regulation on solid fuel burning in bedrooms. as long as you meet clearances and keep a co detector working....?

Nonsense! How could it be safe in the living room and not in a bedroom?
This is what I originally wrote, "Every pellet stove install manual I have read has stated that it is not for bedroom use."

But before hitting send, I decided to double check myself. I pulled up my Harman P61 manual and it states, "Mobile/manufactured home standards do not allow for installation in rooms designated for sleeping."

The manual for my former Hastings states, "WARNING: Do not install in a sleeping room."

So, it depends on what stove you go with, your local/state building codes and what your inspector will allow.

I don't think that it is unsafe to install in a bedroom - just safer to install in another room. If somehow the stove starts a house fire while you are asleep, you have time to respond to the fire alarm and get the heck out. Same goes for CO2 alarm.

That being said, I spend at least half my sleep time on the couch (then wake up and go to bed), so really not any difference. The noise doesn't bother me; pretty much a white noise. In fact, I have waken up before thinking I'm cold, listened for the drop of pellets, and happily drifted back off to sleep. The light could be an irritant, but I've never found it to be so; my stove is aimed directly toward bedroom door (40 ft away) and I get a whole lot of light from it - makes a nice night light.

Reactions: DMKNLD
All I know is my castle serernitys make some noise, but I actually sleep better with it running. It is in the unused bedroom next to the one I sleep in. Last night was the first night all winter that I did not run any heat as the temps here have risen to very mild temps. I woke up several times to other house noises and traffic. Finally had to start the stove at 3:00 to get some real sleep.

I would love to have a stove in the bedroom. If i had the room i'd put it there anyway. Unfortunately, our master bedroom is not that big and we have a king size bed in there. no possible way with clearances. When we go away our rooms always have fireplaces right in the bedroom. I wonder why theres such regulation on solid fuel burning in bedrooms. as long as you meet clearances and keep a co detector working....?

Because the guys who sit behind a desk in a big office getting paid extremely way too much decided so.

I think the reasoning is because bedrooms tend to be more confined. Yes you can have a large bedroom, but usually just one doorway to it. Combine that with sleeping, with a stove burning and potential carbon monoxide and oxygen depletion makes them think it's unsafe. Which it probably is in a malfunction situation or a very tight room. Granted you could have a small living room with only one door and take a nap and that also. Would be the same situation. Its like when I lived in CT, & I put an addition on my house. The master bedroom needed arc fault protection for the wiring. Asked why a bedroom needed arc fault protection. I can see a bathroom, kitchen, wet area, etc. But have no idea why a bedroom with need it. The inspector said that's code!
When I pressed him on it he laughed and said "maybe if the room gets a rockin a cord from a lamp could get damaged and the arc fault would help". That's the best answer I could get.

I did have a stove in that master bedroom I put in. It was a direct vent gas stove. They allow direct vent gas stoves in a bedroom. Personally I would never want a wood or pellet stove in a bedroom. Aside from the safety issue, too messy and in the case of a pellet stove too noisy. Not to mention you would probably cook yourself out!

Status
Not open for further replies.