Beefing Up & Expanding Hearth for Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
@danbrellis, how large an area will the stove be heating? Is this home floorplan open or closed off rooms? One or two story?

Looks like there is a little smaller stove in the Hampton H300 (1.7 cu ft) that would work. The Woodstock Progress Hybrid (2.8 cu ft, w/short leg kit) would be able to vent under the lintel if more heat is desired. The Progress is a side-loader.

Well, if the Vermont Castings fits your install, and your dealer is telling you that it is a good stove, then go ahead and buy it.
Your dealer wouldn't pull your leg, just to make a little money, would he?

Reactions: bholler
I cannot speak for all VC stoves, and I know that people have had various problems
with certain of their stoves, but I have a defiant 2n1 at my brothers home that
I look after for him from time to time and for the last 8 yrs since I bought the
stove all it has needed was some gaskets and 3 catalysts.
PS: It is on a 23ft 8" chimney and runs 24/7 from mid/late oct to may.

3 catalysts in 8 yrs? What has that cost?

They were around 110.00 each, last one was 3 years ago,and one was still
good but was dropped when taken out to clean and broke a big part out of
the center, they are still only 124.99 on the firecat website.
I wish the catalyst for the ashford was so cheap, they have that 0ne listed
for 259.99