Been a while…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jackfre

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2011
N CA
My wife and I have done a major downsizing and the new place has NG furnace and a Peterson log set in the old zero clearance box. Previous owners used the fireplace and spent $400+ on gas. That is ridiculous, so my question is, who is making an efficient, direct vent, bottom outlet for the room air Gas Fireplace. Much obliged for likes/dislikes.

I doubt you find a unit that blows warm air out the bottom. Insert are designed to draw cooler air from the floor level. That air is then passed thru a heat exchanger to get warmed, & then distributed out thru a top louver. As far as guilt units, I suggest you visit a hearth shop & listen to the blowers on the floor models. Try to get there early in the day, before the place gets busy, otherwise you won’t get to near them in a quiet environment.

I installed a Rinnai 750 gas fireplace in my daughters home that did have a bottom outlet and is the quietest gas fireplace I have ever not heard. Unfortunately in ‘08 when markets were falling apart Rinnai chose to drop the excellent Vesta Award winning unit. While FP’s are designed to pull cold air from the bottom they do not deliver the best comfort as they are typically single stage burners and single stage fans. The Rinnai modulated on both the fan and the burner so like their wall furnaces you had better comfort through constant operation of the fan and burner with bottom outlet. My view on top outlet units is hot head, cold feet.
I guess I am less interested in a “big flame” presentation and more interested in heating efficiency. Again at my daughters house they heated the house with the 750 and did not use the central furnace once the 750 was installed. Our new/old house will be best served by an efficient fireplace But due to the small footprint it must be quiet.