Been toying with a Summit modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_dan

Dec 26, 2007
Missouri
I have been thinking about maybe getting a piece of soapstone cut to sit on top of my summit. have it cover the whole top except for a U shape cut out for the flue so it could be slid in to place. maybe a second piece cut to fill in the U shape cut out for the flue. Thinking this may add mass which should increase heat retention and therefor extending the heat after the fire goes out.
So what do you think any problems with this that you guys can see?

Somebody else was going to do something similar. My only thought on the subject is will the stone trap the heat in the top causing it to warp? I'm sure more knowledgable folks will chime in here.

Matt

It seems that is kind of what the Alrderlea has done by encasing a summit in cast iron. I would think that it you elevated the soapstone a couple of inches off the top, it would be very similar.

Probably better to replace the firebricks with soapstone bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.