BEES! Que Chris Farley and David Spade running around swatting themselves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donatello

Nov 8, 2007
Connecticut
I got just over 2 cord of red oak off Craigslist, but not without issues... The tree was down and mostly cut to log length. I started bucking it, then put my Makita 6401 down behind me to roll a log. I stood up when I noticed something on my forearm. It was a yellow jacket and he got me... No big deal, but I knew he hadn't arrive alone... I turned to get my idling saw and there was a huge swarm around it . Another guy that also answered the craigslist ad,was prepared with bee spray. We went through a bunch of cans. Unless you hit them (and drown them) they didn't really care. We finally got the wood, but were sort of puzzled by the ineffectiveness of the bee spray. We used a few different brands, although they have the exact same active ingredient and amount... What do you all use that is effective???

I use any brand name fogger type spray...like Raid. Sure they look OK but once they're sprayed it's over...it's like nerve gas to them.

what ever is cheaper/on sale at the time.

To get them in flight, I use dish soap and water in a garden sprayer.

I use something that foams, so they can't fly once they are hit. Not sure of brand name, but get it at wally world or ace hardware usually.

If you want to knock down the b@sturds really fast, nothing beats automotive brake/parts cleaner spray. One shot and they drop stone cold frozen dead on the spot and that's that. Disclaimer: Most brands are flammable and the fumes are strong so only use outdoors. Upside: evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.

slayer7 said:
If you want to knock down the b@sturds really fast, nothing beats automotive brake/parts cleaner spray. One shot and they drop stone cold frozen dead on the spot and that's that. Disclaimer: Most brands are flammable and the fumes are strong so only use outdoors. Upside: evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.

Hah, I use a can of starting ether and a match or plumbers torch! Big ball of flame, takes em right out of the air. {Legal disclaimer: Don't try this at home}

solo back pack and any insect control that's on hand

Thats funny, I was messing with some Red Oak the last couple days and I noticed the Yellow Jackets were everywhere, maybe they are attracted to the smell?

Todd said:
Thats funny, I was messing with some Red Oak the last couple days and I noticed the Yellow Jackets were everywhere, maybe they are attracted to the smell?

I think there's something to that, I've had the same experience on a few occasions with red oak.

I got a crab apple and after it was cut there were Y.J all over the cut pieces. Had to kill Y.J nest in ground by my woodpile used the foaming stuff.

I had a bunch of YJs buzzing around when I was splitting last weekend. Never did figure out where they were coming from and I think they were attracted to the smell of the fresh splits. No stings.

if it is a ground nest i use ample lighter fluid/gas/diesel/anything flammable and a piece of burning cardboard on the end of a stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.