Ben Franklin Atlanta Stove Co. 261-ST-Franklin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wouldburner

Feb 5, 2022
Hockley, Texas
I have a wood burner. Its an Atlanta Stove Co. Model 261-ST-Frranklin. Just bought it from someone. The only issue I am having is the rod that connects to the flew dampener was not connected. It doesnt seem to work right. I am looking to see if anyone has information on it or an owners manual. Preferably in PDF, paper is fine. Thanks.

The rod that controls the damper is a snap fit, I suspect that one of the 2 ears that hold the rod broke off, you will need a replacement. It's an easy fix woodburner, welcome to the forum.

Hummmm the last time I bought one was at a Home Depot but any hearth shop should have them too.

You don’t need an exact replacement part. Just a flue damper for the size pipe you have.

Start with damper open. Air open. Close flue damper slowly until smoke forms at top with doors partially open. Open damper to allow smoke to evacuate. It is a freestanding fireplace, use it like a fireplace, not a wood stove.

If you need heat, get a wood stove. It needs to have a UL tag affixed to it. Your state, like most has adopted the International Building Code. This does not allow the installation of non-UL (unlisted) appliances.