Bench testing an auger motor with a shorted coil winding! - Sparks @#%”$@!!!

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
8,581
Salem NH
Hello
The test cord on the bench is plugged into a power strip that is plugged into a GFCI outlet that is wired to the main circuit panel with a surge protection breaker! Guess what happened and what blew and how to prevent this in the future?
For the future, I installed a fast blow 5 Amp AGC glass fuse into an in-line fuse holder from Home Depot and connected it in series with the Hot black line just after the plug to protect the in-line on/off switch and prevent sparks from a current overload.
:)

After the sparks stopped there was no voltage at the end of the test cable.
So now what?
I thought I blew the switch in the test cord but the continuity was good using the ohm meter.
See test cord pic 1
There was power at the GFCI in the wall outlet.
See pic 2
Therefore the surge protection circuit in the power strip is blown! It is heavy metal $23.98 so not a cheap one.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-6-Outlet-1150-Joules-1875-Watt-AC/3338630
Here is the question?
Is a surge protection circuit needed considering there is a fuse now in the test cord, and the power strip is plugged into a GFCI outlet with surge breakers in the house circuit panel?
See panel surge breakers pic 3
Well my answer is no so I took the surge protector off the leg of the bench and drilled out the triangle head screws because I do not have triangle head bits. I do have some nice 1/2” galvanized Phillip head screws that work very well.

Pic 0 - Auger motor with bad coil windings!
Pic 1 - New test cable now with 5 amp in-line fuse.
Pic 2 - GFCI wall outlet
Pic 3 - Main Circuit panel surge breakers
Pic 4 - Power strip with white surge protection bypass soldered from the on-ofF switch to wire from 6 outlets
Pic 5 - Power strip now working. Protection light is lit using bypass power when on-off switch is on.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

heat seeker

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2011
3,138
Northern CT
Most surge protectors protect from voltage spikes; they will not do anything for overcurrent situations, unless they incorporate a fuse or breaker. That's what breakers and fuses are for.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Don2222