bending flexible chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kitand

Nov 6, 2016
Seattle
I'm installing a Vogelzang TR-004 wood-burning insert in my house with a standard 6" stainless flexible chimney liner (the kind with tiny ridges spiraling around the whole length). They'll be situated in my old fireplace. The liner comes into the fireplace rather vertically, and does not need ovalizing. However, the TR-004--like many inserts--has an exhaust collar pointed to the rear at roughly a 45-degree angle. Problem: the flexible liner is at a different angle, but is not flexible enough for me to hand-bend it (just near its end) to meet the insert's angle. Is it even possible to bend the flex liner, just near where it meets the insert? If so, what technique might I use to bend it? Or should I better look for an angled adapter? I searched Youtube to no avail about this problem.

Lots of good advice to be had on here and I'm sure you get one of the pros to advise you soon. Are you insulating the liner?

Reactions: kitand
You'll need a stainless steel elbow for that much bend...I've seen some reasonably priced ones on fleabay...

I'm installing a Vogelzang TR-004 wood-burning insert in my house with a standard 6" stainless flexible chimney liner (the kind with tiny ridges spiraling around the whole length). They'll be situated in my old fireplace. The liner comes into the fireplace rather vertically, and does not need ovalizing. However, the TR-004--like many inserts--has an exhaust collar pointed to the rear at roughly a 45-degree angle. Problem: the flexible liner is at a different angle, but is not flexible enough for me to hand-bend it (just near its end) to meet the insert's angle. Is it even possible to bend the flex liner, just near where it meets the insert? If so, what technique might I use to bend it? Or should I better look for an angled adapter? I searched Youtube to no avail about this problem.
Well first off you should open up the damper area so you can keep the liner round. When you do that you can probably push the liner back a little and the angle should not be as sharp. You may still need an elbow though. Make sure it is a stainless one meant for the type of liner you are using. Also be sure you insulate the liner and install a block off plate.

Ctwoodtick, yes, have insulated the liner, though not in the lower section where it comes into the fireplace.
Bholler--the liner fit through round already, just barely, but you raise a good point. If I chip away a bit of a couple strategic bricks and a bit of cast iron damper-frame, then it might have enough "play" to do the job. I'll try that first and if that doesn't work I'll order an elbow. Thanks all.

Update: by widening the entry of the flexible liner (chipping some bricks and hacksawing a bit more off the damper frame, I WAS able to get an OK angle to connect with the insert. Thanks all!

Can a flexible 6” liner turn a 90 degree corner in an 11” chimney?
No even if it could it never should. Why do you have a 90 degree corner in your chimney?

Could be an odd fireplace with a side outlet chimney? Our old fireplace had that.

It's a lousy setup for an insert and terrible to clean. I took the fireplace out completely. It was old and not in great shape, no liner in the chimney. A freestanding stove was installed in the opposite corner of the room. This has worked out very well.

Chimney is integral with the brick exterior of the House. Would class A chimney with an elbow be a better idea?
Do you mean a new chimney at a different location for a freestanding stove? That can work.

Inserting class a chimney in current masonry chimney instead of flexible liner.
No that won't work the only option is probably a tee on a flexible liner