bending sheet metal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
1/8"x48"x48" needs to be bent into a "V" shape for trough around 6-way splitter. The bottom point of the "V" will actually be 8" across and the sides need to come up at 45 degrees. There is a guy around the corner with a giant break but he's very seldom in his shop and doesn't like visitors at the house. With a couple pointers, it seems like it would be easy enough to do.
Thanks-

hmmmm. I thought I could just bolt a 2x8 down the center of it and run a torch along one side at a time till it softened enough to bend my angle?

48" is a long run to heat at one time and keep the entire length hot all at once. Might work if you had 3 torches going all at once.
Some structural steel distributors have breaks and shears. You might want to check around.Maybe even the place you bought your piece.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
48" is a long run to heat at one time and keep the entire length hot all at once. Might work if you had 3 torches going all at once.
Some structural steel distributors have breaks and shears. You might want to check around.Maybe even the place you bought your piece.

That's the cool part. I didn't have to buy it. It was a "reflective" shield behind the old stove which was replaced at your guys's insistance! Did I remember to thank you for that?

I do appreciate the replys-

One way to do it if you can not find someone with a break is to drill a bunch of holes along the bend line, make the bend and then weld them up, a little hoakey but it works.

If you are going to bother welding, cut the sheet into three sections, position them as you like, then weld them together. Personaly, I would bring it to a sheetmetal shop. Craig is right, 11 ga. by 48 inches is a difficult bend by hand. As far as using a 2x, when the metal is hot enough to bend, the wood would be incinerated. If however you MUST bend it by hand, scribe a line at each bend, chase the lines with a large, sharp cold chisel and a big hammer. Clamp the work to a solid metal table, with the chisel scored lines down, and a large section of chanel iron or angle iron on top, and then beat like heck, here heat will help immencely, yet you will be amazed at the effort required.

At 1/8", I'd be inclined to cut and weld if I had that option but not a break. Heating and bending is more work, and usually less accurate, even when scored with a chisel as described above.

madrone said:
At 1/8", I'd be inclined to cut and weld if I had that option but not a break. Heating and bending is more work, and usually less accurate, even when scored with a chisel as described above.

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.