Q&A Bends in stovepipe and other install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I looked through all your digests- but I did not find an answer to my question. By the way you have done an outstanding job on this site! I cannot believe how much information you have provided. It is very well organized. Thank you very much. <p>To my question. We are thinking of putting a wood stove in our new cabin with a second story and a 12 pitch roof. The only spot for the stove is against an outside wall away from the pitch. We are therefore looking at a chimney that will be very tall. From your articles it does not appear that- that will be a problem. The taller the better. We are concerned about the snow- but with a 12 pitch roof- the snow is supposed to fall free. We are planning on securing the chimney with guy wires. However- what about the stovepipe? Another option is to have bends in the stovepipe to the chimney. Specifically- two 45 degree turns to get up to the peak. The builder even suggested we can put it in the ceiling joists so we do not have to look at it. What do you think- is this safe or efficient or both? Our main problem is we do not have space for the wood stove to be in the middle of the house. Any comments you have will be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

Here's the basic scoop on stovepipe....consult your owners manual and dealer for more...
1. regular stovepipe (single wall) should not be run for over 8 to 10 feet of total length..otherwise it cools off the smoke too much. If you intend to run further than this- use either A. Special double wall insulated interior pipe. B. Drop your insulated chimney down thru the ceiling into the room a bit to make up some of the distance.
2. All stove pipe should run over an approved floor protector...do not run stove pipe over carpet- wood floors etc....non-combustible floor should be under the shadow of the pipe (and more) The two 45 degree bends are OK- as long as you do not have to go over too far to the chimney....try to stay within 6 feet or so. All single wall stovepipe should be visible when you are in the room looking at the stove...no hiding it behind ceilings- walls- etc. You can make 30 degree bends in an attic with insulated (class A) chimney if need be. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.