Benefit of wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
Something many of us occasionally talk about. You can choose to keep your house much warmer with wood. I brought in 2 pallets of wood yesterday, and one today.

With that snow, and the vehicles being all iced up… it's VERY nice to be able to just crank the garage radiant zone and set it to 74. Melting plow, melting car, melting wood.

I'd never have done that with paying for oil.

Been logging with the snowmobile the past few days. Sure it's not as fast as pulling tree length with the tractor, but it's fun and good exercise. Keeping all the mess out in the woods and just hauling back rounds to length.

JP

Wood Boiler is great! I turn my garage heat up to 55 occasionally when I will be going out there to work. I generally keep it at 45-50 though.

I've done a little of both over the last few weeks bringing wood out. Mostly bucking it up out there and bringing it back in with the truck or loader. I have skidded a few logs out with the tractor as well. But we have been getting some nasty stuff here the last few days. Freezing rain, sleet, snow, etc.

This is the latest I built in the comfort of the garage heated with wood. I tried this out a couple times the other day. I need to get some weight on the front of the tractor to counter balance the wood in the carry all though. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 157
I can't wait to have a heated garage to be able to crankup. Next winter, I hope. My showers are a bit longer and thermostats set higher knowing its wood powered rather than propane.
Personally, I don't skid my logs because the dirt ends up eating the chain so fast. I use a backhoe to manupulate the logs so my chain never sees any grit. I'll often make it a whole cutting season on1-2 chains.

Reactions: Gasifier
Gasifier that tractor has WHEELIE written all over it. :)

You could build a nice "weight box" for the front. put some weights in the bottom, then use the top for saws, gas, lunch…

JP

Why haul unnecessary weights? Build a front box and fill it with rounds. ;lol

JP

I don't want to derail your thread.

There are two holes in the front of the tractor. I plan on some type of frame and place for me to hang some weights on. I have thought of the box to put wood in! LOL. Only makes sense.

I can't wait to have a heated garage to be able to crankup. Next winter, I hope. My showers are a bit longer and thermostats set higher knowing its wood powered rather than propane.
Personally, I don't skid my logs because the dirt ends up eating the chain so fast. I use a backhoe to manupulate the logs so my chain never sees any grit. I'll often make it a whole cutting season on1-2 chains.

Mark, When I "skid" a log I wrap a chain around one end and then around the draw bar on the tractor's three point hitch. I then lift the log right up off the ground about 6-10 inches depending on how big the log is. So the only part of the log that sees dirt is the other end and it is only one little part of the log. I buck my wood about 22" long, so my chain should never be hitting dirt. I also have gotten myself to the point of only hauling wood out in the winter when the bugs are gone and the ground is frozen. Two nice things to have and not have! When the ground is frozen you don't see much dirt forming on the log. The snow makes it slide nice too. But I don't do a lot of skidding. I mostly cut my wood up in the woods and haul it out all bucked up.

Last edited:
That makes sense, Gasifier. I'm hoping for a freeze so I can get the backhoe into the woods w/o destroying my trails but that doesn't seem to happen often. This is my first full season on my gasser and my wood isn't seasoned as long as needed so I've got to get busy for next year and those following.

Status
Not open for further replies.