Best and worst firewood for campground and outside fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Cedar will pop and maybe land in someone's lap.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

Reactions: coutufr
The worst wood is wet wood. If it's nice and dry almost anything will work. For the quickest starting fire, a softwood like pine will take off faster.

Last edited:
I pretty much burn my chunks, punks and uglies . . . with a heavy preference on the pine, poplar, cedar, etc.

Pine is wonderful. I burn all I can get ahold of. Of course, all the wood I get ahold of is eventually burnt.

I burn everything that is to punkey to go into the wood pile. Never split any of it, When it's hot a 12 inch round burns fine.

I find the pops and cinders to be exciting.
I find that they put holes in my plastic clothing, sleeping bags, tents, etc. which does excite me greatly.
Big bonfires are a major social event where we live so I always wear cotton-based clothes like Carhartt to those now.

Reactions: SpaceBus
What kind of plastic clothing do you wear?
My immediate idea for a response to your question though was more like this:
cd6c3ea66caa5c9e9d35fac12ea48671_md.jpg

Cedar will pop and maybe land in someone's lap.

Just finished building an outdoor shower from cedar and mahogany (for the deck). Have lots of cedar scraps (and just a little mahogany) left over...threw some in a fireplace fire this weekend...yes, it does pop!

I pretty much burn my chunks, punks and uglies . . . with a heavy preference on the pine, poplar, cedar, etc.

That's exactly what i do as well Jake, Chunks and uglies to too much of a hassle to burn in the stove. If I come to a notch, whore, or other anomaly, I just cut around it and keep going with the nice round stuff.

That's exactly what i do as well Jake, Chunks and uglies to too much of a hassle to burn in the stove. If I come to a notch, whore, or other anomaly, I just cut around it and keep going with the nice round stuff.

It may be illegal in most places . . . but that seems a bit drastic. :)

Reactions: SpaceBus