Best chainsaw under $200?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
I've been working with an electric saw and a battery operated one for about five years now,but as I get into better and better wood, they just aren't cutting it anymore. I'm looking for recommendations on a decent gas chainsaw for under $200. I know the best are more than that, but I'm pretty sure that's my limit right now.

I've been working with an electric saw and a battery operated one for about five years now,but as I get into better and better wood, they just aren't cutting it anymore. I'm looking for recommendations on a decent gas chainsaw for under $200. I know the best are more than that, but I'm pretty sure that's my limit right now.
Try Tractor Supply. A Poulan 50cc is your best bet.

Echo is close to that price, depending on the cc

Wow, that is cheap. You won't get much under 200 clams. Look at a Tanaka. it's the Chinese version of a Makita. I have one that I use as my arborists' saw, it's a top handle with a 12" roller nose Oregon bar. Nice little lightweight saw that starts first or second pull every time and unlike a Poolen, don'r suffer from hot vapor lock. I use it up in trees all the time. Think I paid $150 on Amazon for it. Came with a bar sheath but no case.

It actually replaced a Stihl top handle arborists' saw I had purchased (big bucks) that was basically a worthless underpowered turd. I was hesitant about the price but I've been totally amazed at the power and lightweight of it. I tend to destroy tree saws regularly, I drop them and they break usually. haven't dropped this one but probably will at some point. Should buy another as a spare. great little (cheap) saw. I recommend it. Just keep the chain dressed sharp and the nose lubricated and keep an eye on the bar oil, it has a rather smallish oil tank.

Hi Sidecar
Do you still have the Stihl turd?Which one was it?
And if you do is it for sale?
Thanks

Reactions: Ashful
Hi Sidecar
Do you still have the Stihl turd?Which one was it?
And if you do is it for sale?
Thanks
No, I don't. It went back to the dealer 2 days after I purchased it and got a full refund. Gutless turd. The professional top handle arborists' saw. Was around 400 bucks, I could cut better with a pruning handsaw. New Stihl's in general are now gutless. The noise police got to them. The MS I bought also needed some serious muffler cutting, O kept it however, My old trusty 028 (50 years old) cuts rings around the MS. I still have my 075. if it wasn't so heavy, I'd use it more. Sounds like a motocross bike....

Stihl MS 170 on sale for $159 right now...pretty decent little saw...certainly for that price!
And if you buy a pack of their oil with it you get an extended warranty too.

I think your going to be disappointed with most saws in the $200 range, most will be about the same power as a corded electric one.

I also won't recommend some knockoff Chinese made one that exports western jobs to China.

That being said new I'd be looking at the range of the Husqvarna 455 Rancher or the Stihl MS-291. Although over 2 times your budget much better overall saws, and will cut much faster.

The best value for your budget though will likely be a used Stihl or Husqvarna saw.

Reactions: Tar12 and SpaceBus
Could check craigslist too. Jones red 2050 near me in N.H. for $100 cash. Might be able to find a decent 50cc saw used for that price if you don’t mind craigslist. If new then I agree with the STIHL 170 comment above.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I just got a Poulan Pro PR5020 50cc/20" bar for $199. It's basically a Huscvarna 450 for half the price. It's not a professional saw but it can cut anything within my homeowner skill level.
I have a whole stack of PP5020's and 4218's...I pick them up from CL and FB MP all the time for $20-$50...usually a little bit of nothing wrong with them...on the one, the guy told me the chain was locked up...I asked if he tried to fix it, he said nope, don't need it anymore, just wanna sell it...I handed him his $20 asking price and fixed it on the way to the car...yup, chain brake was on... ;lol
I have cut a PILE of wood with the PP saws (some are branded Craftsman, but still the same saw) and have had good luck with them...now, the bars are a bit longer than what should really be on that size saw (cc wise) but they will still pull fine with the bar fully buried, if you don't push it too hard, or file the chain rakers down too far...but they will certainly make the chips fly with a sharp chain!

Last edited:
Reactions: D8Chumley
After you modify the muffler maybe.
I've never heard anyone complain about the power of a MS170 before...usual comments are how light it is and how well it cuts...better than what was expected.

The Home Depots in my area always have a quiet corner with returned/refurbished machines. I have picked up a power washer and a couple of weed whippers this way.

3 years ago, I found an Echo CS400 for $120. Had been returned for not running right. Probably a bad fuel issue but they are tuned SUPER lean for emissions as well. A youtube vid or 2 about retuning the saw and it's become my go-to saw for light or short work. Lighter than my 260 Pro even but a great little saw.

+1 to all the above ideas. Do you have anything worth trading/selling? $200 is gonna be tight to find something (but not impossible) unless you are willing to wait and be patient.

I've never heard anyone complain about the power of a MS170 before...usual comments are how light it is and how well it cuts...better than what was expected.
Not complaining, stating a fact. I have a couple Stihl's all with modded mufflers except my 075 and 028. pre noise police saws.. Any saw will cut good, if the loop is sharp and the rakers set. Problem is, 90% of owners don't know how to properly set a loop in the first place or they take the loops in to have them sharpened and the shop removes way too much tooth.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm not a prospective arborist, nor do I hope to go into business cutting firewood. But my electric one is limited in use because of the cord, and the battery powered one only gives me about 15-20 minutes of cutting at a time, if that.

I found this one on Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Bar-6...n-Saw-Woodcutting-Saw-with-Tool-Kit/293070903

Doesn't have a brand name, but as far as I can tell from these posts, as long as someone takes care of the tool it should last and work well.

As I posted in the recent MS 180 thread, I've had a Stihl MS 180C Mini Boss for about 10 years. had them put on a 16-inch bar. Great little saw for what I need.

How far up in NH are you? I was curious what's out there, so I checked my local craigslist. Here's a NOS $200 saw in Worcester.

Reactions: EPS
As I posted in the recent MS 180 thread, I've had a Stihl MS 180C Mini Boss for about 10 years. had them put on a 16-inch bar. Great little saw for what I need.

How far up in NH are you? I was curious what's out there, so I checked my local craigslist. Here's a NOS $200 saw in Worcester.

Thank you for the head's up. I'm about an hour north of the Mass border, and about an hour and a half from Worcester. Normally I'd be turning to Craigslist or facebook marketplace for things but in the age of COVID-19 I'm just working with places that can deliver to me and have a warranty of some sort. I really appreciate the thought, though.

I know my saws, chipper, stumpers and bucket trucks, been a professional Arborist for 40 years and hold a State pesticide / herbicide application license as well. Mostly retired now but I know what works and what don't and how to properly hand set a loop too.

All my experience is hands on and for profit and of a saw isn't worth a dang, I'll know right away because one of the crew will tell me. When I say the new Stihl's are wimpy, they are. can be modified but shouldn't have to be, not for the price of admission, though I do get them cheaper than you can as a retail buyer. My order of practical revelance from a business standpoint is... Husky, Johnsred, Stihl and old McCollugh. I'll take a Husky professional over a Stihl anytime, even a Johnsred is better than a Stihl. Nice thing about Stihl is, because of creative marketing, everyone sells them now, at least the homeowner versions. The professional ones, not so much.

Wanna know about stump grinders, wood chippers or bucket trucks, just ask. been there and did that as well.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm not a prospective arborist, nor do I hope to go into business cutting firewood. But my electric one is limited in use because of the cord, and the battery powered one only gives me about 15-20 minutes of cutting at a time, if that.

I found this one on Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Bar-6...n-Saw-Woodcutting-Saw-with-Tool-Kit/293070903

Doesn't have a brand name, but as far as I can tell from these posts, as long as someone takes care of the tool it should last and work well.
No way I'd throw $150 at a no name saw, from China to boot, with only 6 crappy reviews on Walmarts site...if you want one delivered to you, buy one off eBay...there are thousands of name brand saws listed there...many in your price range!

Is there a Tractor Supply Company near you? Looks like they carry the Poulan Pro folks are mentioning.

Reactions: lsucet
Even better deal...PP5020 $129.99 shipped w/ 2 year warranty...$35 more gets you Ebays Squaretrade warranty/damage insurance in addition to sellers warranty.
Dunno how you can go wrong...looks like this might be right from Husky too...

Last edited:
Reactions: JRHAWK9