Best chainsaw under $200?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Leean how to properly sharpen a chain and keep it sharp and even your electric saw will cut more wood the it ever did. Nothing eats power more than a dull chain

These were $129 not too long ago and they were flying off the shelf......still are even at $149. Same thing as the Husky 240.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Helluva price, I just bought 2. Only 2 left as of a minute ago.

Grab a Stihl 2in1 chain sharpener for the chain you get ..money well spent..

Helluva price, I just bought 2. Only 2 left as of a minute ago.

If you are referring to the 2238, seems like he keeps the supply stating 4. It's been saying 4 for a week now but he keeps selling them. He's sold 549 of them.

Grab a Stihl 2in1 chain sharpener for the chain you get ..money well spent..

Buying the Pferd version used to be quite a bit cheaper. The Stihl one is just painted orange and marked up.

Buying the Pferd version used to be quite a bit cheaper. The Stihl one is just painted orange and marked up.

How much are they? I gave $35 for my Stihl 2 in1 right from the dealer...

Exactly the same.

no idea, I know that last time I checked the price difference it wasn't that much at all. When they first came out the Pferd was considerably cheaper. I don't know if Stihl's got cheaper or Pferd's went up in price. Thought about trying one out, but I'm not sold on how the rakers get filed. IIRC, it maintains whatever the current depth is?? When I put on a new chain I always take my rakers down a bit and then touch up the cutters. I don't like how a new out of the box chain cuts. I just use one of these:

Last edited:

I have one of each for diff saws ..same unit..

I just looked. Not that much cheaper anymore. I swear, they used to be quite a bit cheaper.

Reactions: TreePointer
regarding the stihl/pferd sharpener. For the past 3 years at least, my local Stihl dealer has had the white and orange stihl version for less than I could purchase the Pferd for online anywhere. Great tool, and best sharpener I've ever used.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Even better deal...PP5020 $129.99 shipped w/ 2 year warranty...$35 more gets you Ebays Squaretrade warranty/damage insurance in addition to sellers warranty.
Dunno how you can go wrong...looks like this might be right from Husky too...
130.00 for 52cc saw with all that warranty is a no brainer. Good find!

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm not a prospective arborist, nor do I hope to go into business cutting firewood. But my electric one is limited in use because of the cord, and the battery powered one only gives me about 15-20 minutes of cutting at a time, if that.
Make an order yet?

Hello. I am new here and i am also looking for the suggestions.
It all depends on how big and much you plan on cutting. That will be a start for everyone to point you in the right direction

Chinese made chainsaws, $200 range? According to her - maybe? Some of the knock-offs she says aren't too bad - but you might need to replace some parts. Some are used commercially and holding up. Whereas other cheap ones are just a waste of money, and will fall apart quickly.

Last edited:
I'm a Stihl fan boy. I was recently looking for a small saw. Came down to the 170 having great reviews at $189. Starts and runs exactly like my 260 pro, but 1/2 the HP. So far it's flying thru 12" stuff with no issues. And that's all I wanted it for. Of course every saw needs a razor sharp chain. I sharpen with a file, and when I can't recover a chain, I just replace it.

Unless I have something bigger than 18” I usually grab my Ryobi 37 cc. It’s started every time. I’ve loaned it out. Came back with a new chain. Kept running it pig rich because I didn’t want to mess up the carb setting or saw blow it up not knowing how to tune. . Bought an induction tach. I’ve learned to tune chainsaw carbs on it. It has paid for it self. On second bar lost count of the number of chains. One is even a milling chain. Oh yeah I used it to cut beams.

Just one person’s experience.
Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

A425F354-5B5F-415A-8F77-2CD7FD9B2E77.jpeg

I'm a Stihl fan boy. I was recently looking for a small saw. Came down to the 170 having great reviews at $189. Starts and runs exactly like my 260 pro, but 1/2 the HP. So far it's flying thru 12" stuff with no issues. And that's all I wanted it for. Of course every saw needs a razor sharp chain. I sharpen with a file, and when I can't recover a chain, I just replace it.
The 2in 1 sharpener is the best way to sharpen my chains...