Best Customer Service?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I deal with tech support a lot at work. I realize that they get all kinds of crazy calls and folks skipping steps. I used to try to direct them to my problem and try to make them move along to get to the root of my problem faster. Now, I realize they have a check list they have to go through each time someone calls. I have to start at the beginning of the list and confirm or deny a ton of possibilities that I’ve already eliminated or I wouldn’t be calling. Eventually we get there and then, if I was polite and sounded educated in the field at hand in the troubleshooting, then they gain some trust and we can start spitballing together. I’m usually not calling them about a PLC acting up, if it’s not actually acting up. If I try to push them through or skip, it just doesn’t go so well, even if we still get to the same result.

Sometimes it starts out that they don’t want to believe that what Im saying is happening is actually happening. They’ve told me, that’s impossible. The PLC can’t do that. Well, I’m standing here watching it do that. If I’ve gone through the steps with them and gained some trust, then we can make ground.

That’s tech support.
Customer service should be a bit more butt kissy and patient. VC has neither.
I’d be willing to jump through some hoops to get to the right answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
I’ve had to instal and maintain manometers while working in positive pressure environment such as clean rooms and hospitals. How does one check the draft on a stove?
I’m sure weather, wood type and quality, and burn stage affect it.

I’ve had to instal and maintain manometers while working in positive pressure environment such as clean rooms and hospitals. How does one check the draft on a stove?
I’m sure weather, wood type and quality, and burn stage affect it.
Most stoves manufacturers give procedures to follow. But generally you test through a hole in the pipe just above the stove at high fire. The colder the better outside

Would flue temp probe height be adequate, or is this a new hole I would have to drill?

I deal with tech support a lot at work. I realize that they get all kinds of crazy calls and folks skipping steps. I used to try to direct them to my problem and try to make them move along to get to the root of my problem faster. Now, I realize they have a check list they have to go through each time someone calls. I have to start at the beginning of the list and confirm or deny a ton of possibilities that I’ve already eliminated or I wouldn’t be calling. Eventually we get there and then, if I was polite and sounded educated in the field at hand in the troubleshooting, then they gain some trust and we can start spitballing together. I’m usually not calling them about a PLC acting up, if it’s not actually acting up. If I try to push them through or skip, it just doesn’t go so well, even if we still get to the same result.

Sometimes it starts out that they don’t want to believe that what Im saying is happening is actually happening. They’ve told me, that’s impossible. The PLC can’t do that. Well, I’m standing here watching it do that. If I’ve gone through the steps with them and gained some trust, then we can make ground.

That’s tech support.
Customer service should be a bit more butt kissy and patient. VC has neither.
I’d be willing to jump through some hoops to get to the right answer.
Just so you know Vermont castings customer service is way better after they were bought by HHT. Still not the greatest but you can get somewhere with them now.

Would flue temp probe height be adequate, or is this a new hole I would have to drill?
Yes I usually use the thermometer hole or add one to fill the hole I drilled after the fact. They do make plugs for the hole as well. Wood type really won't change it temperature differential between the stove and outside is the biggest factor

My sister got an Ashley insert shipped to her from US Stove in November. The installer showed up, cleaned the chimney, installed an insulated liner, then hooked up the stove. Only one problem, no door. Called Ashley and they apologized and sent a door out right away. It arrived last week, but wrong side hinge and no glass. Called Ashley again, nice customer service, more apologies, and assured the right door with the glass will be on its way. Now waiting. It's going on a month with no stove, an extra service call for the installer, and waiting. So nice customer service, but a serious disconnect at the warehouse.

Reactions: bholler and 30WCF
Just so you know Vermont castings customer service is way better after they were bought by HHT. Still not the greatest but you can get somewhere with them now.
Very well could be, and it could be a one off, and I might be thin skinned.

They did communicate with me when I was having trouble getting the stove pipe adapter.

I had already bought the wrong part, ignorance on my part. The dealer I got the stove from, initially told me I didn’t need an adapter when I ordered it. When I called the dealer back and said that the pipe didn’t fit, they suggested a PN for a single wall stove pipe. ( which I had already rigged up temporarily, but still not the right part) So I took a gamble and ordered an adapter online that said it fit a VC on a google search. That didn’t fit the stove or my pipe.

I emailed VC, and negligence on my part, I didn’t tell them what pipe I had. They made an assumption and told me to spend money and wait on a delivery for the wrong part. When I said I already had that part, they did reply. I wish they had asked what pipe I had rather than saying I can’t help you if you don’t tell me what pipe you have. ( No one had asked that yet. How was I supposed to know everyone didn’t buy their pipe from lowes and install their own stoves?)
Now, it seems such an obvious answer, but at the time, I was a customer in need, with a problem, looking for someone to help me by asking me the right questions. (The checklist)
A bit thin skinned, maybe. Perhaps the dealer or the manufacturer could have been more inquisitive.
Duravent was very helpful, and did suggest the proper adapter after clarifying what pipe I had.
6B7DCAA9-27DB-45F6-B264-EBA7E05C85E9.png

FD6CD7ED-B211-441E-9F2F-1A8F803BD0B6.png

BB72E66C-CEEF-4489-BE5B-9994BE51A407.png

Last edited:
I wish stove companies would standardize on flue collar diameters. With the right-sized flue collar, there shouldn't be a need for a flue collar adapter. DVL slips right over the PE and Jotul flue collar and fits well. That's the way all stove collars should be.

I wish stove companies would standardize on flue collar diameters. With the right-sized flue collar, there shouldn't be a need for a flue collar adapter. DVL slips right over the PE and Jotul flue collar and fits well. That's the way all stove collars should be.
I’m partly to blame. I had to reach way back in my brain and do some research to recall what pipe I had purchased with my old stove years ago. It just seemed somewhat ignorant of my dealer to immediately say, No, no you don’t need an adapter without saying, well, that depends…seems if you have spent more than three days selling stoves, stove accessories and intalling stoves, you might naturally dig a little deeper if a potential customer says, “ I have double wall stove pipe, do I need an adapter?”