Best deal for a good chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Mar 8, 2013
Eastern PA
I was thinking I'd try tractor supply? Any other ideas for getting a new chain for dragging logs. Needs to only be big enough for one limbed trunk at a time...

Thanks as always,

Riggs

Harbor freight has some 3/8 chain that's pretty cheap.

Oh yeah...how did I forget about harbor freight... There is a store 2 miles from my house! Thanks!

Get the front end off the ground or the whole thing by loading it onto a dray(see backwoods savages pictures) This will save a lot of chain sharpening headaches from mud covered logs. I built a single log skidder for my quad but it would fit into my Reese receiver on a truck too. Logs drug through the mud are a PITA

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks Bob. For sure dragging logs with a chain just gets the bark loaded with dirt. This is a great thing if you love sharpening saw chains. But if you put them onto a dray, not only does the dray make pulling a lot easier but it keeps the dirt out of the log. I built this one for around $10.

Also, yes, Harbor Freight sells 2 sizes of chains. You don't need the heavy one though.

Dray-1.JPG

Hauling logs c.JPG

I've seen 14' log chains with a slip hook on one end and a grab hook on the other at TSC and Lowes. I forget the price, but I purchased the one from Lowes a few years ago and it's done the job.

Northern Tool is another good source....love the Dray Idea tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.