Best Insert Questions Ever--Lopi Republic 1750i, Regency I2400, Quadra-Fire 4100i, and Lennox Legacy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtgrain

Oct 24, 2009
Ypsilanti, MI
Looking at manufacturer websites, it's tough to compare specs and designs for me. Some don't list the three dimensional firebox size; some don't clarify what type of mechanism is used to reach efficiency (I've been assuming secondary burn tubes and baffles, but who knows?).

Overall questions, open to any models you can suggest:

- What inserts require the least part replacement as part of regular maintenance? I've read about some models needing plates, tubes or gaskets replaced at times.
- Do any inserts require no part replacement (excepting unexpected failure)?

Of the models I'm looking at, can you fill in the gaps in the information listed below (what I know about the insert is listed first--then come the questions):

Lopi Republic 1750i:
- Has bypass damper
- Has built-in convection chamber
- Firebox is 2.2 cubic feet
- Built in rollers
- Made of 5/16" to 3/16" Steel Plate
? Where is the blower located?
? Is the convection chamber stainless steel and durable? Other parts durable?
? How is this mechanically set up to achieve efficiency? Secondary combustion chamber (trapped heat reburn) or downdrafter reburn? Baffle and tubes?
? Any parts need regular replacing?
? Does anything have to be removed for flue/chimney cleaning?
? Any cooktop surface?

Regency I2400
- Firebox is 2.3 cubit feet
- Some cooktop surface
? Does it have a convection chamber?
? How is this mechanically set up to achieve efficiency? Secondary combustion chamber (trapped heat reburn) or downdrafter reburn? Baffle and tubes?
? Does it have rollers?
? Does it have a bypass damper?
? How thick is the steel plate?
? Are interior parts made of quality materials? Stainless Steel?

Quadra-Fire 4100i
- Firebox 2.5 cubic feet
? It doesn't appear to have a cooktop surface. Does it?
? Does it have rollers?
? Are interior parts made of quality materials? Stainless Steel?
? Are the Advanced Combustion Control and the Quad Burn similar in design and function to the other models? If not, how do these technologies stack up? Downdraft tubes? Convection box?

Lennox Legacy C260
- Has stainless steel afterburner tubes and refractory baffle
- Has ceramic-fiber blanket instead of firebricks
- It appears to have some cooktop surface
? Is the ceramic-fiber blanket really better? Does it need replacing?
? What size is the firebox?
? ? Does it have rollers?

Thanks to those who help--or would if they could. I'll update the original post with any information offered.

Wouldn't it be much easier to go to the dealer and look at the stoves ?
Your questions are a little mixed up because the stove is either EPA or Catalytic and if it is catalytic it has a bypass if EPA it does not.
All stoves require maintenance, and depending on how a person uses the stove depends on how long parts will last. Catalytic stoves need the catalyst replaced every few years, unless you burn things you are not supposed to then replaced every year.

Actually, the term "bypass damper" can refer to a mechanism on either a catalytic or non-catalytic EPA certified stove. Though the term generally refers to the catalytic stoves, Lopi includes this feature on some of their stoves (all of which are non-cats). In the case of a non-cat Lopi, the bypass damper allows the smoke to bypass the baffle and go directly up the chimney. This is a very handy feature for: starting a cold stove, keeping smoke out during reloading, and when cleaning the flue.

Dirtgrain;;Thats a lot of questions!! A lot of that info you can get from the pdf when you r looking at a particulr stove,,and download the installation manual. Yes it takes a great deal of time when learning and searching for that perfect stove,,I`ve got nearly a year in now on the forum learning. Keep a spiral notebook handy,so you can jot down those stoves that come up in any particular thread, pro`s and cons. Use the search box up top to try and find specific questions you might have on a particular stove.
Lennox: refractory baffle-would damage easily on reloads, blanket based on NASA engineers HMMM,,unimpressive door latches
Only a couple have rollers and usually waste no time in marketing it
Only a few list plate thickness and again market it well for you to find easily,

Lopi Republic 1750i:
- Has bypass damper
- Has built-in convection chamber
- Firebox is 2.2 cubic feet
- Built in rollers
- Made of 5/16” to 3/16” Steel Plate
? Where is the blower located? It is mounted as an option just under the ashlip
? Is the convection chamber stainless steel and durable? Other parts durable? They secondary burn tubes are now stainless steel
? How is this mechanically set up to achieve efficiency? Secondary combustion chamber (trapped heat reburn) or downdrafter reburn? Baffle and tubes? Secondary burn tubes
? Any parts need regular replacing? maybe over time the burn tubes and they are warrantied for the first 7 yrs
? Does anything have to be removed for flue/chimney cleaning? With a full liner, you do not need to remove anything, just open the bypass damper and allow the creosote to fall
into the burn chamber
? Any cooktop surface? it will have aprox. 9-10" extendind out on to the hearth for a cooktop surface

Status
Not open for further replies.