Best Place to Buy Chimney Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tel10

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2009
VA
I am looking to install and small/medium size wood stove, run the pipe through an outside wall and up the side of the house (3 stories!)...any advice on best brands or places to source the pipe?

Thanks!

acehardwareoutlet.com

Thanks! This is very helpful. I found out that most of the independent dealers around here sell Selkirk Metalbestos. I called Selkirk and found out the stuff they sell through Lowe's and Home Depot is essentially the same, but marketed under a different name. Costs a lot less at the big retailers because of the buying...you just aren't supposed to mix and match components across the different lines.

It's called Selkirk Supervent in Lowes (maybe HD, too). Runs about $24/foot around here. If you're going 3 stories - you may wipe out 2 stores. They usually have 5-6 units of 36".

I bught most of my chimney (Simson brand) frome here: http://www.dynamitebuys.com/
They had the best prices I could find and free shipping!

Likewise for dyn.buys. Good prices and service.

I hope Dynamite Buys, Lowes and Home Depot have jobs for all us retailers who are here trying to service the public

i just requested dynamitebuys.com for a quote says they will contact me in 24 hours lets see if they can beat my local guys quote of $1167.04 with the stainless galanized duravent pipe, $1152.98 is what i came up with but i opted for the better stainless inside outside duravent 8", we will see what they want for shipping as that will probably be the factor since the shopping cart is already lower with the better chimmeny from duravent. I will keep u guys posted.

Ray

Steer clear of Supervent. After going through a lot of this last year, I finally found that my local HVAC supply house carried the full line of Hart & Cooley Class A pipe. This is another brand in the Selkirk empire. It's a good choice.
The Selkirk brands are not all the same. The Lowes brand, Supervent, has a lower grade of stainless on the outside, and a lot of the non-basic fittings are basically unavailable. IMO, what Lowes sells is dangerous. Unless you have the most basic of house designs, you can't do a safe installation with Supervent. If you're going with Selkirk brands, get one of the "professional" grades, either Hart & Cooley or Superpro. It's weird, Hart & Cooley is owned by Selkirk, looks just like Superpro, but they have a completely separate website and way better customer service. I think they have a dealer locator to help you find a distributor in your area.
Definitely check out your local HVAC supply house, before ordering online. I saved hundreds on shipping by getting it local, and it's nice to know you run down the road and get the right part if you screwed something up.
Excel is also a really good brand, and is really lightweight, which is a big deal when you're running chimney up 3 stories! Not as ubiquitous as the others, but worth a look.

WES999 said:
I bught most of my chimney (Simson brand) frome here: http://www.dynamitebuys.com/

They have some coy comment about "call or email for price" but then if you click
on the item you get the same price as everywhere else. This is for Simpson
DVL double-wall stovepipe: 45-degree elbows for $47, shoter telescoping pipe
for $109. Are they saying they'll reduce this price if you call or email ?

RustyShackleford said:
WES999 said:

They have some coy comment about "call or email for price" but then if you click
on the item you get the same price as everywhere else. This is for Simpson
DVL double-wall stovepipe: 45-degree elbows for $47, shoter telescoping pipe
for $109. Are they saying they'll reduce this price if you call or email ?

Yes. email them or call them. Just ordered and received my pipe from them. An example:

4' section oval rigid

Stove shop price: $185
Manufacturer price rec: ~$150
Dyn price: $102, free shipping

Multiply that over 25' plus all the fittings.....

There was a set price - did not do any negotiation.

greythorn3 said:
i just requested dynamitebuys.com for a quote says they will contact me in 24 hours lets see if they can beat my local guys quote of $1167.04 with the stainless galanized duravent pipe, $1152.98 is what i came up with but i opted for the better stainless inside outside duravent 8", we will see what they want for shipping as that will probably be the factor since the shopping cart is already lower with the better chimmeny from duravent. I will keep u guys posted.

Ray

My shipping from them was free

Franks said:
I hope Dynamite Buys, Lowes and Home Depot have jobs for all us retailers who are here trying to service the public

Well, given the great advice I have received here online, and with my online stovepipe provider, compared to the terrible advice and surly service my local stove shop provided, there's plenty of room for a better business model.....

CarbonNeutral said:
greythorn3 said:

Ray

My shipping from them was free

if its free im buying it!!!! but will have to wait and see since im in ALAKA.

Ray

I honestly dont feel bad for my local shop. I tried to shop them, but they were four times the price I paid by buying my stove and all associated pipe at Lowes. Granted the stove my local shop had wasnt the same stove I got at Lowes, but there is nothing wrong with Englander stoves. They wouldn't even give me prices on anything until I threw a fit and told them I was going somewhere that was interested in my business. They kept insisting that I let their sub contractor come out and give me a bid for the job when I had told them time and again that I wanted to do the install by myself and was just wanting to by the supplies there. I knew the measurements and the exact pieces I needed and they still wouldnt give me prices. They finally sent me an "estimate" in the mail for parts only and I made my decision to go to Lowes. I called every shop within 100 miles and none of them where even close to what Lowes was. I understand shopping local and supporting your community, but you'll have to do better than four times the price.

RL

RiverLogger said:
I honestly dont feel bad for my local shop. I tried to shop them, but they were four times the price I paid by buying my stove and all associated pipe at Lowes. Granted the stove my local shop had wasnt the same stove I got at Lowes, but there is nothing wrong with Englander stoves. They wouldn't even give me prices on anything until I threw a fit and told them I was going somewhere that was interested in my business. They kept insisting that I let their sub contractor come out and give me a bid for the job when I had told them time and again that I wanted to do the install by myself and was just wanting to by the supplies there. I knew the measurements and the exact pieces I needed and they still wouldnt give me prices. They finally sent me an "estimate" in the mail for parts only and I made my decision to go to Lowes. I called every shop within 100 miles and none of them where even close to what Lowes was. I understand shopping local and supporting your community, but you'll have to do better than four times the price.

RL

Agreed, if any of the four stove shops I talked to had been fairly priced (i.e. 20% more than online), and had given me sound, legal, safe advice, then sure, I would have kept it local (for the pipe). If Jotul allowed sales online, I wouldn't have hesitated to have bought my stove from the internet.

my local shop the prices are anywhere from 5$ to 40$ higher per part i need then online, i would love to support the local buisness but if i can get a better deal in this tuff econemy now i will take it.. they need to adjust their prices to be more competetive to the internet.. the internet isnt going away, and i knw they pay 50% of retail for their parts they are selling, isnt that enough profit?

Ray

greythorn3 said:
my local shop the prices are anywhere from 5$ to 40$ higher per part i need then online, i would love to support the local buisness but if i can get a better deal in this tuff econemy now i will take it.. they need to adjust their prices to be more competetive to the internet.. the internet isnt going away, and i knw they pay 50% of retail for their parts they are selling, isnt that enough profit?

Ray

Shops have a lot more overhead than your internet distribution center based in the middle of nowhere, so they need to balance that with great personal service. I know there are great shops out there from the people that post here - they are just not around me. I think my shops could work smarter and sell for cheaper, but would be very surprised if they're making more than 5% profit even with their current markup.

You all just need to think outside the box a little. Stove shops aren't the only places that sell Class A chimney pipe. Any big supply house that serves the HVAC industry is going to offer a line of Class A pipe at a good price, and local. This chimney is not just used for wood stoves. Oil fired boilers and furnaces use it, bakeries and restaurants use it. Check out these places and I bet you'll find a decent price and good service. My local HVAC supplier in Providence, Furnace and Duct Supply Co, had prices that matched whatever the online dudes were offering, because they also deal in high volume sales. But like I said, if I had a problem I could run back down the road and sort it out with a knowledgeable human being.

id get stainless triple wall duraplus from home depot and use a 10% off coupon(always on ebay for 2 bucks ) ,if theres any problem you can just take it back and get another ..rather than mail order issues(and shipping) that could arise

marsfarmer said:
You all just need to think outside the box a little. Stove shops aren't the only places that sell Class A chimney pipe. Any big supply house that serves the HVAC industry is going to offer a line of Class A pipe at a good price, and local. This chimney is not just used for wood stoves. Oil fired boilers and furnaces use it, bakeries and restaurants use it. Check out these places and I bet you'll find a decent price and good service. My local HVAC supplier in Providence, Furnace and Duct Supply Co, had prices that matched whatever the online dudes were offering, because they also deal in high volume sales. But like I said, if I had a problem I could run back down the road and sort it out with a knowledgeable human being.

From what I understand, Class A does not automatically mean that it's fine for wood stoves - you need that UL cert.....

lexybird said:
id get stainless triple wall duraplus from home depot and use a 10% off coupon(always on ebay for 2 bucks ) ,if theres any problem you can just take it back and get another ..rather than mail order issues(and shipping) that could arise

I couldnt find any 8" stove pipe at home depot, is it at the one by you? or just 6" like mine?

Wow just recieved my email back from them, i have to email them back to make sure they know im in alaska.. but wow if this is the price im ordering it! $204.95cheaper then locally!!!!

heres the quote email!

Mr. Thronson,
Your total price on this order would be $962.09 including shipping to your home. Please let me know if you have more questions or call to order.

Thanks, Sean
www.dynamitebuys.com
gasgrills.dynamitebuys.com

adn locally for the same thing but lesser chimmeny the stainless interior and galv outside its MORE MONEY!! $1167.04

I don't know what the deal is with local stove shops. Every one near me is simply ridiculously overpriced. They then whine and complain that they can't compete with internet merchants. Well, internet merchants are very often local stove shops who built a web site. Whooda thunk it?

Back to stove pipe. I had an excellent experience buying from Harts Hearth. I had all measurements in hand, and they sold me a pipe package that was so spot-on it was scary. I would definately buy again from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.