Best rear venting stove with modest side clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Luvwine

Jul 29, 2019
Highlands, NC
I have a cabin in the mountains that is mid century modern in style but with high ceilings and lots of glass to enjoy the view but is fairly inefficient in the winter. Square footage is around 2600 but ceilings are high. Would like to add a wood stove in front of an existing fireplace to cut down on the propane bill in the winter. Chimney is masonry and extends up over 18’ from floor level. I am thinking a rear venting stove is best as I would think the stove will emit more heat if it is out front of the firebox as much as possible tho please feel free to correct me. The dimensions of the firebox are: 33” wide, 39” high, and 25” deep. There is another 15” of stone in front of the firebox and then a 15.5” drop off to another 19” of stone on the floor in front. The biggest issue is that there is an entertainment center cabinet on the left side of the fireplace that is only 11.5 or 12” from the side of the firebox. Thus, I guess if the stove is say 26” wide, I would need one that permits a side clearance of around 15”.

Ideally, I would like an efficient stove that is EPA compliant with longish burn times. I kind of like the look of soapstone but that is not important to me (had a soapstone covered cast iron stove as a kid). One that goes with a somewhat modern (mid century modern house with lots of stacked stone and wood) is a plus. I am not terribly price sensitive if that helps.

Thanks for any help you can give. I am a newbie and hope I have not violated some rule. I have been looking a lot online. A dealer was pushing the Hearthstone Green Mountain 60 but that won’t work as it is a top vent only.

Last edited:
Take a look at woodstock’s Ideal Steel model. Rear venting with a wide range of outputs.

Their slightly smaller Progress Hybrid model is a different look and side loader but does offer rear venting.

Is it 39" high all the way to the back and a rectangular opening? If so, most stoves would probably slide in.

Take a look at woodstock’s Ideal Steel model. Rear venting with a wide range of outputs.

Their slightly smaller Progress Hybrid model is a different look and side loader but does offer rear venting.

Thanks for their response. Is there something i am missing/not understanding? Seems like the Ideal Steel model requires 19 inch clearance on the side and the Progress 24. Again, I am new at this and am delighted to be educated but if I am interpreting the numbers correctly, seems like these may not work.

Not necessarily. Many with inserts or freestanding stoves puahed into a fireplace insulate their liner and install a block off plate to keep the heat from going up the chimney.

Thanks for their response. Is there something i am missing/not understanding? Seems like the Ideal Steel model requires 19 inch clearance on the side and the Progress 24. Again, I am new at this and am delighted to be educated but if I am interpreting the numbers correctly, seems like these may not work.

Your post was long and I got lost. Still can’t make sense of it.

Can you remove this entertainment center obstacle? Your giant 2600 sf home surely has a safer place for it.

To stop a lot of heat heading up the chimney install an insulated block-off plate at the damper area. Consider vertically vented stoves that have good side shielding. Some cast iron jacketed stoves can get pretty close for clearances. Take a look at the Quadrafire Explorer II for instance. It can vertical or horz. vent.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Many with inserts or freestanding stoves puahed into a fireplace insulate their liner and install a block off plate to keep the heat from going up the chimney.

I would agree. Don't dismiss this option. It opens you up to a lot more stoves. The sealed block off plate is key.

I have a PE Summit (3.0 CF firebox) stuffed in my fireplace. I don't remember the dimensions exactly, but I'm positive your fireplace is larger, and significantly higher.

A cheap fan blowing at the stove helps push hot air out of the fireplace enclosure on the really cold nights.

In a perfect world, the more stove sticking out I think the better, but stuffing a top vent in a large fireplace isn't a bad setup at all. If its the choice of a smaller 2 CF stove pushed out of the fireplace or a 3 CF stove stuffed in, I would opt for the larger stove any day.

This will also eliminate your side clearance issue.
Wood stove.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Jotul F50 Rangeley a few weeks ago. It has a steel firebox with cast iron shielding. It’s 27” wide and I think the side clearance is 14” but I don’t remember for sure. Jotul also makes the F55 Carrabasset which is similar construction but a little bigger firebox and without the top load the F50 has.