Best sealant for roof/chimneys these days?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
What is the recommended product these days for sealing around chimneys, singles, nail holes etc? Just had an install done and they did a hack job and I'm worried about leaks. In case they don't follow through and make things right, I'd like to have on hand a sealant if I gotta do things myself.

What is the recommended product these days for sealing around chimneys, singles, nail holes etc? Just had an install done and they did a hack job and I'm worried about leaks. In case they don't follow through and make things right, I'd like to have on hand a sealant if I gotta do things myself.
A sealant isn't the right way to do it.

Ok, Then what is?
Properly installing the flashing so gravity does the job of keeping water out. If you are relying on sealant you are going to end up redoing it pretty often. When done right you won't touch it again

Properly installing the flashing so gravity does the job of keeping water out. If you are relying on sealant you are going to end up redoing it pretty often. When done right you won't touch it again
I understand. Just like to have options in a pinch.

Honestly, it generally doesn’t take any more time to do it right. With a bundle of shingles being $30 more or less and a 1lb box of roofing nails around $6, it’s way cheaper and pretty fast to do it right. If your current shingles are old and brittle, replace them all up to the ridge.

Reactions: bholler
Honestly, it generally doesn’t take any more time to do it right. With a bundle of shingles being $30 more or less and a 1lb box of roofing nails around $6, it’s way cheaper and pretty fast to do it right. If your current shingles are old and brittle, replace them all up to the ridge.
Yea my shingles are at the end of their life. Just don't want any leaks until I can get the roof replaced.

When I put my chimney in, I had really old shingles. They were too brittle to lift. I ended up replacing all of the shingles above the chimney to the peak.

At Home Depot you can still buy 100 square feet of shingles for $100. If you don’t care about the color they are currently selling tan and black for $70/square.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
In a pinch they make a sealant called Through the Roof, that's really the name of it. Available at the big box home improvement stores cones in tubes and also in cans. it can be applied to a wet roof also but it's as others say a patch not a correct repair. I've used polyurethane caulk on roofs also.

Reactions: trailrated
When I put my chimney in, I had really old shingles. They were too brittle to lift. I ended up replacing all of the shingles above the chimney to the peak.

At Home Depot you can still buy 100 square feet of shingles for $100. If you don’t care about the color they are currently selling tan and black for $70/square.
Probably pick up some black. Original color is blue, front side of the roof looks great, the north side (where chimney is) is weathered quite a bit, almost black. So black shingles would match better until I can do the whole house.