Best Stove for Salty Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

seaglass21

Feb 24, 2022
Vancouver Island
Hello everyone!

I am working at a remote research station this summer and am currently sourcing wood burning stoves to use out there. Very unfamiliar with them as I come from a warm climate!

I am looking for two, one that can heat around 1000 sq feet and one that can heat up to around 400 sq feet. We will be burning primarily salty wood, which seems to be quite corrosive. Therefore, I am looking for something heavy duty.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hardcore wood stoves in this size range? Thanks so much!

There really is no best stove. Hot, moist salt fumes are very corrosive. In the least, make sure the wood fully seasons. We had this same question asked several years ago by a gal in Alaska named Sue. Driftwood was their primary fuel. She ended up getting a PE T5 with the understanding that every 3-5 yrs the baffle would need replacement. The stainless steel components will buy time, but eventually, they will corrode. A PE super has the same firebox as the T5.

Here's a link to that story:

And the results after 5 yrs.

Heat dramatically accelerates the corrosion.

Reactions: FTG-05
For sure stay away from a cat stove.

Reactions: Rob_Red
Thank you very much for your responses and links to those threads-very helpful!

Unfortunately my boss told me that salty wood is really our only option based on our location.

But we are off the coast of Vancouver Island with boat access so that location is actually good if we decide to go with a PE stove.

Thanks again everyone!