Best suggestions for bringing heat out of living room and down the hall.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh395269

Mar 27, 2008
CT
Our pellet insert is installed in a living room fireplace in a 1700 sq ft ranch. The opening to the kitchen is on the other side of the living room, not directly on the wall opposite the fireplace. Once in the kitchen, we have a long hall leading to a bathroom and then 4 bedrooms. We do have a ceiling fan in the living room, oil fired cast iron baseboard heat, and air conditioner vents in the ceiling. My question is what is the most efficient way to bring the heat down the hall to the bedrooms, and to stop it from being trapped in th living room.. We have been running the stove a bit tonight to experiment. Right now, it is 74 in the kitchen, 70 in the farthest bedroom (though it does not feel like that), and probably much hotter in the living room (I estimate mid 80's, though I don't know for sure). Any suggestions would be great! Thanks, Kim

I have a similar situation. I am in a 1700Sq. Ft. Farm Ranch. I am going to use the A/C vents in the ceiling to move the air down to the other rooms on the other side of the house. I have insulated the piping and am installing in-line suction fans to move the HOT air in the living room to the other rooms. My only reservation is that the air stays warm for the 25-75 foot run to the other rooms. It is worth a try though.

Many people swear by ceiling fans. If you have any try that.

You'd think that if you don't have the ceiling fans a good approach would be to have some sort of a floor fan or the like blowing across the stove to move the heat. But most people seem to find that it is better to blow air from the cold hallway into the room with the stove.

EDIT: Just re-read and saw no ceiling fans. I'm in the same boat.

We have an 1100 sq. ft. 100 year old dump with two bedrooms at one end of the house. We use a small pedestle fan to blow the warm air into the hallway that serves the bedrooms as well as a ceiling fan in the kitchen where the stove is...

On a cold Wisconsin winter day the bedrooms are at about 65-68 while the kitchen and living room will be about 74... toasty!

No problems here using the pedistal fan in the living room and
ceiling fans in each bedroom running at its lowest setin just ti stir the air up a bit.
The living room gets a bit(understatement) warmer than the bedrooms but it is better to sleep
in a some what cooler room I feel.
Ours is a bi-level with the same hallway configuration that yiu mention

Jay

Attachments

• Living Room.JPG
    Living Room.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 381
i use two pedistal fans. i blow it into the kitchen then the other fan blows down the hall. works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.