Best Thermometer Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
Where do you put your stove top thermometer?

I was re-reading my Lopi Manual last night and realized that it says to put the thermometer above the door.

I had been keeping it in the center of the stove top - thinking that is where the stove is the hottest.

My stove's temperatures spikes have been hard to control but now I am wondering if I have been having misleading thermometer readings because it was not above the door.

What do you think? Where so you place your stove top thermometer?

I don't know. Lopi and Napoleon say at the front of the stove top. But my stove is pretty much the same design and it is a hell of a lot hotter everywhere else on the stovetop than there. I have one on the front of the step and one in the middle between the front lip and the step. The one on the front of the step is always the hottest but I go by the one in the middle because I know that the flame impingement plate welded in front of the flue is right behind that step bend and doesn't represent anything about temps in the firebox.

Last edited:
Reactions: isipwater
The Endeavor is a step-top like my Liberty, with no place to stick a thermo above the door on the front of the stove (the vertical face). So, when you say "above the door" and you say "center of the stove top"...where, exactly are you talking about? Sounds to me like those two locations can't really be too far apart.

I have one on the lower step of my Liberty, and I have on on my single-wall stovepipe just above the flue collar. If the one on the stovepipe (the easy one to read to read from afar) tells me I need to pay attention, I go up and check the one on the stovetop to see what's happening.

The Endeavor is a step-top like my Liberty, with no place to stick a thermo above the door on the front of the stove (the vertical face). So, when you say "above the door" and you say "center of the stove top"...where, exactly are you talking about? Sounds to me like those two locations can't really be too far apart.
Ok, here are some photos to better explain. I am thinking the the first photo, placement above the door will have lower temp readings and make me worry less?

Here is thermometer above the door:
stove 1.jpg

Here is the thermometer in the middle of the stove top:
stove 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's in the center of the stove top, which fortunately or unfortunately, is the top-loading door. I have always suspected that flame impingement and the relatively small mass and volume of this door makes it a little more reactive to be a great indicator of "stove temperature", but everywhere else I try on this massive stove is too slow, to the point where it lags what's going on in the firebox by a half hour or more.

isipwater, I'd go for what you call the "middle of the stove top". I think that'll be more representative of what's happening in the firebox than your other position.

^^

What he said.

isipwater, I'd go for what you call the "middle of the stove top". I think that'll be more representative of what's happening in the firebox than your other position.
Any idea why the Endeavor model would say to place the thermometor "above the door" though?

Thats where I've got mine right smack dab in the middle of the bottom level. On my liberty that is definitely is the hottest part of the stove that I have found

Status
Not open for further replies.