Best tip you have got from this forum.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-Never walk away from a stove that has full air to it (unless you have a timer set to call you back).
-Use a thermometer.

Fully seasoned wood burns better than green stuff.

It sounds silly to mention it, but how many problems do we see on the forum every year due to wet wood?

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:

It sounds silly to mention it, but how many problems do we see on the forum every year due to wet wood?

Matt

Ditto. Mattt Said it all.

adrpga498 said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

Ditto. Mattt Said it all.

Same here - let me add, seasoned and DRY, not 3-year old stuff sitting under a pile of snow. It applies to any stove or fireplace, any type of firewood, any geographical location - a universal tip for a lifetime of successful, clean, safe burning. It's a tip that I kinda-shoulda-sorta already knew, but never took it too seriously until I saw it here.

Super Cedar fire starters. Haven't chopped kindling or crumpled newspaper in years.

1) Always be ready to pounce on free wood without regard to time of year

2) A woodstove is an engine - if it's too cold, lean it out - if it's too hot, richen it up

3) Life is too short for WalMart chainsaws

4) Keep your chain sharp and your saw will always have enough power

5) It's a woodstove, not the space shuttle

Free wood the best wood!

Not to buy stock in CFM Corporation.

The best tip I have been given is that I should read this often and not be afraid to ask dumb questions.

On a side note, I love the sarcasm from time to time. It keeps me interested. :lol:

Lesson learned early on, the flue is as important as the stove when it comes to burning well.

NW Fuels said:
Listen to Rich M

He didn't just earn some samples, did he?

To just go ahead and put the damn thing in already!

The rest just seemed to follow........

If you're on blood pressure medication, stay out of the Ash Can. Rick

fossil said:

Rick Iam wondering what your teachers comments were on your high school report cards were.

north of 60 said:
fossil said:

Rick Iam wondering what your teachers comments were on your high school report cards were.

The only one I remember was directed to my parents and it read something like, "If you have any other younger sons, please look into the opportunities for busing to an adjacent district." Or words to that effect. :smirk: Rick

"safety is no accident"

PPE MUST ALWAYS BE USED when cutting firewood

The amount of clothing my wife wears is directly related to the inside temperature of our home.....

edit - because I think if I can get it hot enough in the house....oh never mind!

Honestly, I've learned that MY firewood will sit pretty, outside in the sun, wind, snow, and rain, for at least 18 months before I burn it....

edit - because I have a moisture meter, and last year my wood was 16 to 18 percent moisture content, this year I have stuff that is closer to 12 percent, and the difference it makes in burning in my stove is tremendous, cleaner burns, longer burns, more heat.

Goldenearringz said:
Lesson learned early on, the flue is as important as the stove when it comes to burning well.

Yoda, What does this mean?

May The Draft be with you.

That's not just a stove...it's part of a system. Rick

The 'Top-Down' fire starting technique.

Cleaning the glass using bottled water and a paper towel.

branchburner said:
He didn't just earn some samples, did he?

I wish! Seriously, they make shoulder season a lot easier. I'll never go back to the old way.

Status
Not open for further replies.