Best way to attach chimney brackets to brick exterior wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
You guessed it. Hearth Donor installation number two has a brick house. What is the best way for me to secure the chimney system brackets to the house?

Most hardware stores carry masonry anchors. There are several types all should work for a ss chiminy. I have used the lead pound in type with epoxy and have had good results.

Corie, do you have access to a hammer drill? Tap-cons will be near impossible to use without one. I'd suggest a small lead anchor type for your particular application. Should be no need to use epoxy unless the mortar is crumbly. Speaking of which, do you know what kind of mortar is used? Is this a true brick house or a brick facade/veneer? If you have a lime mortar, then you may need to secure to the brick itself as lime mortar is very soft... not sure if it would be strong enough support for you. I have no idea how to attach to the brick itself. Hopefully Elk will jump in here to provide some suggestions.

-Kevin

There are many masonry/concrete anchors that can be used. But a hammer drill for the hole is going to be essential. Epoxy embedded stainless steel studs are the best IMHO.

Errrr, I don't have a hammer drill.

I wonder if I can rent one from the home cheapo?

I'm also trying to source one of those scissor lifts to install the chimney, rather than being up three stories on a ladder.

Anyone local have a hammer drill they could loan me for a day? hah

If you do any kind of home inprovements on even a semi regular basis, you should just go buy one. I bought a nice Black and Decker at Walmart about 3 years ago for 59.99 Im sure they have gone up in price, but renting probably wont be much less, and this way its yours to keep.

Brick is nothing..... A regular drill with a masonrey bit will work..... What are we talking here 1/4" Now concrete and cinder block that's a different story....
For that stuff nothing beats a Hilti.........

Status
Not open for further replies.