Best way to check temps on Pex and copper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kawliga

Hey Good Morning...

I need to validate temperatures on pex coming in and out of the HX and in some of my copper return lines...it would be great to get some fairly accurate readings....but if I use the same device or method, at least the data will be somehwat relative.

I have read up hear on IR guns....not sure if I want to buy one, maybe they can be rented....and do they work reasonably well?

Prefer a low cost check if possible....maybe using meat thermometer etc....taped to pex with aluminum foil and wrapped in insulation?

Any ideas would be welcome and thanks

Mike

I bought a IR thermometer from Harbor Freight for $24 on sale w/ coupon. It is as accurate within 2% of my stepdads $300 one.
I use it to measure stove-top temps on my fireplace insert.

I have two AZEL units. The display provides two temps; inlet and outlet. I have one in the boiler room where I go from black iron to Pex (to the underground) and one in the house for the inlet and exit to the HX. Worth every penny. The display has pretty long leads to the thermocouples (or whatever they are) so the sensors are on the HX and the display is upstairs. By looking at the inlet temps in the house I can tell how things are in the boiler barn. If you can afford them I can highly recommend. Probably lots of systems like this I just didn't have the time to mess around and just spent the bucks to get an all in one system. No data logging but is perfect for me. Google AZEL.

The meat thermometer taped to the pipe and wrapped with a little insulation is what I use. You can also use silicone caulk as a heat transfer compound, it transfers heat better than the air space it replaces (thanks Gary). Menards sells a meat thermometer for about $3, or you can get the smaller one with a 1" dial from Harbor Freight.

I got a bunch of "frothing" thermos on Ebay, also for around $3 each - must be the same basic thing as the meat thermo. They work fine for my needs, and I believe they read fairly close to (i.e. just under) the actual water temp in the pipe. One extra bonus with the type I have is that the 140-160 temp range is in red, while all of the other numbers are black. Since we boiler folks are normally interested in the 140-190 temp range, this red highlighting makes it easy to get a quick read at a glance, without actually having to check the numbers. I used some ASJ tape to anchor to the pipes, which works great for that purpose. But, the other attachment methods probably work well also, just do them all the same way. Just one caution about these cheap thermos - they adjust by turning the dial on the stem. If you wind using any of this type, first sync them up in ice or boiling water. And then be careful not to turn the dial after the sync process, especially after the stems are taped to the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.