Best way to use insert fan.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm trying to learn what is the best way to use the fan on insert. I have variable speed twin 90 CFM fans and 3 sq.ft of firebox. The insert is flush with big window.

Please, share your experience with use low vs high, beginning vs end of burning circle etc.

For now my algorithm is this:

Preheat insert up to 600-700 F measured on a top of the actual firebox. ( I use thermocouple to read it).

Run fan on low or med until stove is cruising around 500 F. (On max if heat is needed fast)

Dialing fan down when below 400 and shutting it off when it goes lower.

Please share your thoughts how to achieve longest burn times and extract as much heat as possible from the insert.

I think you'll find a very wide range of thoughts on this depending on your insert. A on a thermostatically controled stove you will get a shorter but complete burn because the air intake is constantly adjusted. A non- thermostatically controlled stove (assuming you dont adjust the air) you may get a shorter burn time because the stove cools to soon and your left with a pile of coals. All that to say "who knows?". I'd mark a few lines on your fan dial and experiment. The other thing to consider is noise. The higher you go the louder it gets. So you may want to sacrifice some heat or burn time for a lower noise level.

What im finding the best for my situation is to just keep the blower on low. What seems to help alot is a small floor fan on low blowing lower cooler air into the room where insert is at. So far Ive been keeping the downstairs 72-76 depending on how much I load up and how much I close the airflow down. I keep it off after a reload and turn it on again when the temp is up around 400 or so. On a full load it will still then peak at about 600.

Ive tried mine on high but it almost seemed that when the air was pushed out further it felt a little cooler the further it got out. Not sure how much that matters but low has been working very well as the warm air seems to come out just enough then rise up and get pushed out into the other rooms.