Best wood stove for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They don't make a stove called the xl. The biggest stove they make is the 5100 that was relabeled the 5200 when retested for 2020. I also don't think it would be a good fit for a modern 1200 sqft house. It just doesn't turn down low enough.

So given all of the above, if this was your situation, which stove would YOU get?
What style, traditional or contemporary? Or a basic black box?

Reactions: bholler
They don't make a stove called the xl. The biggest stove they make is the 5100 that was relabeled the 5200 when retested for 2020. I also don't think it would be a good fit for a modern 1200 sqft house. It just doesn't turn down low enough.
Yes, this place is not large. If it is superinsulated it is not going to need a ton of heat.

Reactions: bholler
My wife loves watching fire burn. I suppose something that looks classic with plenty of window space in front would be nice.

This house will need ERV for air exchange as the house will be pretty air tight.

That is an important point about losing power while we are away. Need to mention that to the contractor.

So given all of the above, if this was your situation, which stove would YOU get?

Based on what you have said, and it was my house, I would go with a wood stock brand. Either the Progress Hybrid, ideal steal, or absolute steal depending on where exactly you locate the stove and design preference. Reasons being:
1- They have a high output for when you first start up or need the extra heat.
2- all three are visually appealing
3- they can be turned down low and burn over night without a problem.
4- Since they have secondary tubes you will have a better fire show than with a regular cat stove.
5- they should last years with the regular maintenance.
6- you can hook up an outside air duct to the unit.

Reactions: Sawset
Probably traditional with a nice fire view.
Take a look at the Enviro Boston 1700 and the Pacific Energy T5 for starters.

Drolet. Canadian Made. Amazing customer service.

I just went from a Regency to a Drolet Legend. It's awesome! What a difference. And you can find all the parts, shipped from Montreal should you ever have an issue.

I would take a look at the Escape, rated up to 2100 sqft, always go bigger than you need! : https://www.drolet.ca/en/products/stoves/escape-1800-legs-black-door-db03105/

https://www.drolet.ca/en/

Don't let the fact that Canadian Tire (big box store) sells them, make you think they are less quality. I love our stove.

Reactions: Sawset
I think building a new home give you some flexibility. At this stage I would be focusing on where the stove would go and how it would be vented. Will you be cleaning the flue yourself? Top down from the roof or bottom up? An outside air kit is a must how will that be run? Are you wanting to be able to cook on it?

I was so limited dimensionally and by color choice and I didn’t want a cat stove that I didn’t have that many options. Looks were very important to me and I compromised some functionality for the look and I’m ok with that. I like my ash pan.

I like the Jøtuls and the PE T-x look nice too. Just my two cents.
Evan

Probably traditional with a nice fire view.
Im with you there. Top of my list for a stove is a huge front door for the best fire view. My last stove purchase was just for that.

Attachments

• 20181129_172559.jpg
    20181129_172559.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 105
Smaller new build. Well insulated and tight. Maybe look at the Woodstock Fireview. Another option with traditional look and ...Um... Fireview!

Low quality wood species as a concern in a Catalyst equipped stove is complete nonsense. My experience has been that my Cat stove loves lesser BTU wood species far better than the non Catalyst equipped stoves I've used. Where some of these Cat stove theories come from is hard to understand? Wow.

Reactions: blacktail
I haven't come across anyone who has gotten the 5100 or 5200. I bet it could heat a huge house.

I haven't come across anyone who has gotten the 5100 or 5200. I bet it could heat a huge house.
We have sold some. The only drawback is the 8" flue requirement. They do turn down fairly well so it doesn't have to be a huge house by any means. But the turn down isn't as low as the bk