better solution for leaking seams?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveK

Feb 4, 2015
Shelter Island, NY
I have a Vermont Castings Intrepid II 1308 w/ catalytic. The vertical seams between the side plates and front of the stove had lost their cement and were leaking. I cleaned the seams thoroughly and filled them with Rutlands stove cement. All was fine for about two weeks and then the new cement started to crack and fall out leaving air gaps again. I refilled the seams and two weeks later it's happening again. Is there another way to seal these seams? Another type / brand of cement? thanks

it is time to tear the whole stove down and re cement all the seams the problem with what you are doing is that the cement does not penetrate into the joint properly we have done it many times to get people through till they can fix it right but it is a very temporary fix

Have you looked into brazing? That will close it up good.
Dude, no.
This is a stove that needs to be disassembled occasionally to replace consumable parts.

Second, NO BRAZING ON WOOD STOVES, EVEN IN AN APPROPRIATE PLACE (a crack, not a seam)
Wood stoves can and do routinely get hotter than the melting temperature of brass/bronze.

All repairs to wood stove bodies must be made with nickel or cast iron rods, and it is NOT a backyard welding job.

Third and finally, we have an ethical duty to only give out SAFE advice. Brazing stove seams is NOT SAFE.

Reactions: bholler
sorry, didn't mean to get out of line. I was tired and did not think of temps.... I should know better. :)

sorry, didn't mean to get out of line. I was tired and did not think of temps.... I should know better. :)
The bigger issue is with dissimilar metals. If one has a totally different expansion rate, it will separate from the base metal and you'll be right back at ground zero.

If it was to be done (not saying it is even possible on something as porous as cast iron/steel) it would have to be a blend of materials that would expand and contract at the same rates. Even then, still more obstacles to overcome.

It would likely work for filling a crack, but certainly not sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.