Big box store Pellet comparing! List and mini review!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokeyTheBear said:
I think you had a hand in the avatar Jay for which I thank you, I just had an idea, yeah I like it myself. It is both bearish and pellet pigish.

I'll send you my email and you can send me the xls file, I'll give it a try and let you know.

Anytime my friend. Anytime at all.

From sinbads suggestion I have added the date codes to the chart. See 1st post.

Thanks for the suggestion sinbad. Great idea.
jay

Jay,

I was told somewhere that the date code on the bags was the day the bags were printed not the fill date.

I ran into a question about this a few years ago when I was burning early spring dated pellets the following January. This was while there was a shortage going on. My comment at the time was about how much of a shortage there really was if I was getting pellets that had been bagged 9 months earlier. The answer I got was that the pellets were fresh but the bags were 9 months old.

Just FYI.

----Nailer---

Nailer,

Well that stinks! :eek:hh: It would be nice if they put a code on the bags are maybe a batch number. Spent this morning moving the pellets around for nada.

Thanks for the tip. I will remove them from the chart. Bummer!

Maybe I should leave them and call it bag date?

Thanks again
jay

Thanks for all the hard work Jay. I look forward to reading your results with each bag. I think you have done the best job possible by the average Joe, do not let the few jerks get you down. Looking forard to seeing the unvailing of brandX.

Trail_Time said:
Thanks for all the hard work Jay. I look forward to reading your results with each bag. I think you have done the best job possible by the average Joe, do not let the few jerks get you down. Looking forard to seeing the unvailing of brandX.

Thanks for the kind words, Pretty chilly today so I am burning some pellets again. The past couple of days has been much warmer and only had minimal morning burns. Looks like lower 30"s for the evening lows for the next few days..

Thanks again. :)
jay

Everybody catch that review of Presto-Log Pellets made by Lignetics in their Western plant by MacMan? Interesting stuff, huh?
:cheese:

littlesmokey said:
Everybody catch that review of Presto-Log Pellets made by Lignetics in their Western plant by MacMan? Interesting stuff, huh?

I see no facts with his review. I see a pile of fines. Not knocking macman, But I like to see some info. Anyone can say they burn hot.

Just my 2
jay

Take a look at Post 1 Greenways are complete and BrandY temp is in. Also look at post 201 and 202.

I am going to take a step back for a bit. Seems I need to get a few things done for the family. Wife wants the xmas lights up and my son has a school project to get done. Anybody know how to build a scale log house? It does sound like fun and it will get me away from this dang computer for a bit. I am also looking forward at not touching this darn stove for a few weeks. Getting tired of cleaning it, Almost like I still own the bigE. Let the thing clean itself for a tad.

I will finish brandY and skip to the MaineWoods(sure hope you Maine guys don't take offense to my findings?). I will make know what the brands(X-Y) are before I take my little vacation from this. I will try to return as soon as possible. Or maybe some others can fill in my gaps. Nice if someone good burns some brands I can't find.

I am also going to edit the XLS and remove the comments. I will add the pellet size(Dia and Length) in its place. Good thing I saved the samples. Should be less offensive and Make it more presentable to the public. Begreen would like me to post something in the hearth wiki.

Sure hope the commotion hasn't scared you guys off! :bug:

Hope you enjoyed this and We will see you in the forums.
jay

...hey Jay........ it's been 'entertaining' and of course, 'very informative'...... bet cleaning the stove every 2 bags has been a 'labour of LOVE'........ :lol: Make sure that scale model of a log house has a scale model of a pellet stove in it....... pics when you and your son finish the build and pellets stove install "remember we like pics"...... :lol: have fun!! .....cc

Hello Jay!

I have been searching on the web for week's looking for the best pellet and have tried 5 different brands so far. Lignetics has been the latest that I have tried and was about to order 2 tons until I ran across your burn results in this forum. So I decided to join in and ask, When were you planing to reveal Brand X and Y? Your Info would help allot of people save money from this higher heat pellet.(Brand X)

Your Information is gratefully appreciated.

CanadaClinker said:
...hey Jay........ it's been 'entertaining' and of course, 'very informative'...... bet cleaning the stove every 2 bags has been a 'labour of LOVE'........ :lol: Make sure that scale model of a log house has a scale model of a pellet stove in it....... pics when you and your son finish the build and pellets stove install "remember we like pics"...... :lol: have fun!! .....cc

I'll try. Its been a pleasure and I can say I have meet quite a few neat people because of my little search and trial :)

thanks cc
jay

hookthefish said:
Hello Jay!

I have been searching on the web for week's looking for the best pellet and have tried 5 different brands so far. Lignetics has been the latest that I have tried and was about to order 2 tons until I ran across your burn results in this forum. So I decided to join in and ask, When were you planing to reveal Brand X and Y? Your Info would help allot of people save money from this higher heat pellet.(Brand X)

Your Information is gratefully appreciated.

Soon, Maybe by weeks end. It all is in the weather lately.

I highly recommend you try a few bags before the large purchase. Whats good or bad for me, May not be the same for you. This really isn't a way to recommend pellets. Just showing a different way to test them and use a little science to assist in the search for your pellet.

jay

That's what I have been doing is buying a bag or 2 of each to see how hot it burns in my JamesTown J-1000 using a meat thermometer, but its hard to get the average temp's since it fluctuate so much. lignetics has been the hottest so far, I'm just excited to see what Brand X is and if I could get it in the north shore area. I have seen an average price of 279 - 310 per ton of pellets, even for poor quality pellets. That's why I would like to try Brand X to see if it gives good Bang for the Buck.

homeskillet said:
Brand x is Bear Mountain or Golden Fire....................................

I wish I can't get them here, You guys keep them for yourself and don't send any my way. :lol:

jtakeman said:
Seems I need to get a few things done for the family. Wife wants the xmas lights up and my son has a school project to get done. Anybody know how to build a scale log house?

Making the log house out of pellets I presume.....

joefraser said:
jtakeman said:
Seems I need to get a few things done for the family. Wife wants the xmas lights up and my son has a school project to get done. Anybody know how to build a scale log house?

Making the log house out of pelles I presume.....

Yeah, My son got a project called a "Cabin in the Woods".

Too small for me to glue up. I have all my fingers stuck together. Don't think I could see them to chink it either. Nope real sticks notched. 5/8 scale. Furniture. Fireplace. Bet those pellets will make nice logs in the fireplace. Little campfire outside too!

I was going to cheat and get a kit. I got the scowled look form the Mrs. Guess thats out. Scratched built it is.

You will see a photo when complete. I got my orders from cc. "Or it really didn't happen".

poconoman said:
Jay, you're never going to get things done, if you're posting. :lol:

Shh! told the wife I don't have a base and need to get one from the scrap pile at work. Got another day to relax before AHHHHH! :lol: We start tomorrow night right after homework and choirs.

I'm not a model builder. I like bigger things to work on. I'm sweating this one!

jtakeman said:
Updates See post 1

Maine Choice are finished. Ash was at the 16 oz mark on the jar(see attached photo). Ash seemed light and fluffy.Gray film on class. If they had only more heat? I will weight the ash and update sometime this week.

BrandX is in the stove.

Average temp was 262°F (smoking hot!) These pellets required the least amount of air(reduced draft) to burn. I was blowing them right out of the burn pot at first. I am also able to reduce the heat setting from medium (#3) to medium/low (#2) and still hold temps at 230º. This should conserve pellets and save me money. I am loving the way they smell, Almost like the smell of a fresh cut xmas tree. Edit: Just for giggles I tried them on low (#1). They still cranked out 175°F. Almost as much as the Inferno's on the medium (#3) setting. Very impressive!

FYI= My stoves feed rates are 1=1.7 lbs/hr. 2= 3.1875 lbs./hr. 3= 3.81 lbs./hr. 4=5.44 lbs./hr. 5=7.61 lbs./hr.

jtakeman Thanks for all the posting your doing a great job. I had a question about the Maine Choice. I am burning Maine Choice in my Castile. It's my first year of burning so not able to compare at this point. My ashes are black in color and have been since bag number one. The Castile has no air or other adjustments and everything seems to be running ok!
Judging from your photo of the Maine Choice ashes wouldn't you call that black in color or is it just my computer monitor

Jay,

A little OT but it's your thread.....

As a woodturner and woodworker. I find the gap filling qualities of epoxy far surpass any other glue when dealing with irregular joints (like you'd find in logs).

For a model log house I would substitute a hot glue gun for the epoxy.

West System makes great easy to mix epoxy. A little pricey but worth it.

I have found cheap hot glue sticks at Ocean State Job Lot.

Good Luck,

I love projects.
---Nailer---

smalltown said:
jtakeman said:
Updates See post 1

Maine Choice are finished. Ash was at the 16 oz mark on the jar(see attached photo). Ash seemed light and fluffy.Gray film on class. If they had only more heat? I will weight the ash and update sometime this week.

BrandX is in the stove.

Average temp was 262°F (smoking hot!) These pellets required the least amount of air(reduced draft) to burn. I was blowing them right out of the burn pot at first. I am also able to reduce the heat setting from medium (#3) to medium/low (#2) and still hold temps at 230º. This should conserve pellets and save me money. I am loving the way they smell, Almost like the smell of a fresh cut xmas tree. Edit: Just for giggles I tried them on low (#1). They still cranked out 175°F. Almost as much as the Inferno's on the medium (#3) setting. Very impressive!

FYI= My stoves feed rates are 1=1.7 lbs/hr. 2= 3.1875 lbs./hr. 3= 3.81 lbs./hr. 4=5.44 lbs./hr. 5=7.61 lbs./hr.

jtakeman Thanks for all the posting your doing a great job. I had a question about the Maine Choice. I am burning Maine Choice in my Castile. It's my first year of burning so not able to compare at this point. My ashes are black in color and have been since bag number one. The Castile has no air or other adjustments and everything seems to be running ok!
Judging from your photo of the Maine Choice ashes wouldn't you call that black in color or is it just my computer monitor

Its actually dark grey. My camera's flash is horrible. I was to lazy to photo shop it. I can try to lighten it later. Can you lower the feed rate? Just a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.