Big box store Pellet comparing! List and mini review!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nailed_nailer said:
Jay,

A little OT but it's your thread.....

As a woodturner and woodworker. I find the gap filling qualities of epoxy far surpass any other glue when dealing with irregular joints (like you'd find in logs).

For a model log house I would substitute a hot glue gun for the epoxy.

West System makes great easy to mix epoxy. A little pricey but worth it.

I have found cheap hot glue sticks at Ocean State Job Lot.

Good Luck,

I love projects.
---Nailer---

I like the tips. I have a hot glue gun and some sticks. Think I have some epoxy.

I maybe asking lots a questions about the project. Like the rock fireplace and chimney. I will need a gray adhesive to look like cement?

Thanks nailer.
jay

jtakeman said:
smalltown said:
jtakeman said:
Updates See post 1

Maine Choice are finished. Ash was at the 16 oz mark on the jar(see attached photo). Ash seemed light and fluffy.Gray film on class. If they had only more heat? I will weight the ash and update sometime this week.

BrandX is in the stove.

Average temp was 262°F (smoking hot!) These pellets required the least amount of air(reduced draft) to burn. I was blowing them right out of the burn pot at first. I am also able to reduce the heat setting from medium (#3) to medium/low (#2) and still hold temps at 230º. This should conserve pellets and save me money. I am loving the way they smell, Almost like the smell of a fresh cut xmas tree. Edit: Just for giggles I tried them on low (#1). They still cranked out 175°F. Almost as much as the Inferno's on the medium (#3) setting. Very impressive!

FYI= My stoves feed rates are 1=1.7 lbs/hr. 2= 3.1875 lbs./hr. 3= 3.81 lbs./hr. 4=5.44 lbs./hr. 5=7.61 lbs./hr.

jtakeman Thanks for all the posting your doing a great job. I had a question about the Maine Choice. I am burning Maine Choice in my Castile. It's my first year of burning so not able to compare at this point. My ashes are black in color and have been since bag number one. The Castile has no air or other adjustments and everything seems to be running ok!
Judging from your photo of the Maine Choice ashes wouldn't you call that black in color or is it just my computer monitor

Its actually dark grey. My camera's flash is horrible. I was to lazy to photo shop it. I can try to lighten it later. Can you lower the feed rate? Just a little.

I could lower the feed rate a little, but am a little leery as it took me a while to find what I thought was a "sweet spot" for my stove. I may give it a try anyway.
What would realy be interesting to me is if somebody on the board had a Castile freestanding stove that was also burning Maine Choice pellets.

jtakeman said:
smalltown said:
jtakeman said:
Updates See post 1

Maine Choice are finished. Ash was at the 16 oz mark on the jar(see attached photo). Ash seemed light and fluffy.Gray film on class. If they had only more heat? I will weight the ash and update sometime this week.

BrandX is in the stove.

Average temp was 262°F (smoking hot!) These pellets required the least amount of air(reduced draft) to burn. I was blowing them right out of the burn pot at first. I am also able to reduce the heat setting from medium (#3) to medium/low (#2) and still hold temps at 230º. This should conserve pellets and save me money. I am loving the way they smell, Almost like the smell of a fresh cut xmas tree. Edit: Just for giggles I tried them on low (#1). They still cranked out 175°F. Almost as much as the Inferno's on the medium (#3) setting. Very impressive!

FYI= My stoves feed rates are 1=1.7 lbs/hr. 2= 3.1875 lbs./hr. 3= 3.81 lbs./hr. 4=5.44 lbs./hr. 5=7.61 lbs./hr.

jtakeman Thanks for all the posting your doing a great job. I had a question about the Maine Choice. I am burning Maine Choice in my Castile. It's my first year of burning so not able to compare at this point. My ashes are black in color and have been since bag number one. The Castile has no air or other adjustments and everything seems to be running ok!
Judging from your photo of the Maine Choice ashes wouldn't you call that black in color or is it just my computer monitor

Its actually dark grey. My camera's flash is horrible. I was to lazy to photo shop it. I can try to lighten it later. Can you lower the feed rate? Just a little.

I could lower the feed rate a little, but am a little leery as it took me a while to find what I thought was a "sweet spot" for my stove. I am concerned that if I lower my feed rate my fire stove will go out on the low heat position. The fire now sometimes gets pretty low on the low heat position. So far this season I have been running constantly on low as the temps haven't been that cold. I may give it a try anyway.

What would really be interesting to me is if somebody on the board had a Castile freestanding stove that was also burning Maine Choice pellets.

smalltown said:
jtakeman said:
smalltown said:
jtakeman said:
Updates See post 1

BrandX is in the stove.

I could lower the feed rate a little, but am a little leery as it took me a while to find what I thought was a "sweet spot" for my stove. I am concerned that if I lower my feed rate my fire stove will go out on the low heat position. The fire now sometimes gets pretty low on the low heat position. So far this season I have been running constantly on low as the temps haven't been that cold. I may give it a try anyway.

What would really be interesting to me is if somebody on the board had a Castile freestanding stove that was also burning Maine Choice pellets.

Its is pretty much normal for a stove that is run for long periods of time to burn rich/Black ash. I would fun it for a short period of time on the medium or high setting. This will help burn out the rich/black ash. There maybe something in the manual about the low burn setting.

Any one else agree?

jay

UPDATE

Check post 1 and 2

Hi guys, I just posted the ash numbers for the BrandX and the GreenWay pellets. Impressively low. BrandX was a mere 0.28% Lowest I have tested. GreenWays at 0.38% which ain't to shabby!

poconoman said:
Jay, can you at least say that BrandX and BrandY are readily available in the NE?

Yes they are. They will be reveal soon enough. Right after the maine woods.

Maybe even as soon as brandY's results are post. I have teased you long enough!

Remember to try before you buy!

jtakeman said:
poconoman said:
Jay, can you at least say that BrandX and BrandY are readily available in the NE?

Yes they are. They will be reveal soon enough. Right after the maine woods.

Maybe even as soon as brandY's results are post. I have teased you long enough!

Remember to try before you buy!

YES! I will definitely try them out first!

There's a brand called Tree Cycle. They're made in PA. HEARD, those are good.

smalltown said:

Smalltown,

I have been burning Maine Choice too this year, albeit in a pellet boiler, but have noticed they tend to burn darker too at times, particularly the ash left in the burn pot. Do you have an OAK on your Castile? If not, that may help a bit.

sinnian said:
smalltown said:

Smalltown,

I have been burning Maine Choice too this year, albeit in a pellet boiler, but have noticed they tend to burn darker too at times, particularly the ash left in the burn pot. Do you have an OAK on your Castile? If not, that may help a bit.

Sinian thanks for the info. Yes I do have the OAK, but maybe jtakeman has a point that running on low 27x7 could be part of it. Watching the weather it appears that I will be shifting to the medium heat setting real soon.
It's my first year burning pellets, but to me it seems to be running fine other than the dark color ash. Or maybe it's that I don't know my ash from shinola! (couldn't resist it %-P )

Sinian thanks again for the reply.

Just so you guys say it is happening!

You know the it didn't happen till a photo is posted!

Here you go.

The start of the project! I hate it already. But the kids getting an A!

Check the floor sample. Wife picked up some Sitka spruce sheet stock.

Yes the project it real and thats about 5 hours of work. I need patiance for this thing!

Jay

Attachments

• sample floor a.jpg
    sample floor a.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 473
  • Start a.jpg
    Start a.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 475
UPDATE! See 1st post

BrandY is complete. Ash was at the 15 ounce mark. I will get the weight ASAP. Ash amout was 0.48%

Brand X= Okangan's

Brand Y= Barefoot's

Maine woods are in and the Average temp was at 224°F. A vast improvement from last years batch I burned. I could only average in the 195 to 200°F range. Maybe there starting to make a good one? I will hold that thought until I measure and weigh the ash!

I also learned some thing new. Seems I am pellet picky or a "Picky Pellet Pig!". I guess I have higher pellet standards than most.

Jay

Update See post 1.

MaineWoods are complete and the results are surprising. I only got 1/2 a jar of ash from them. I was expecting a full jar plus after last years experiance with them. Much improved I would say. see attached photo.

Attachments

• 16 Maine Woods 1a.jpg
    16 Maine Woods 1a.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 544
  • 21 Maine Woods a.jpg
    21 Maine Woods a.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 314
I may or may not continue the test here. The thread is pretty full. I might just start a new one or do individuel test's on the other brands. So here are my conclusion's.

Due to a basement install and having to have maximum heat most of the time. I have higher standards than most for my pellets. My cold weather pellets I like to see somewhere in the 235°F range and above. My shoulder pellets are more in the 210°F to 230°F range. My higher standards may have offended some, But it is what I need to do to keep my family warm.

You all missed the question I had in the thread "What is a bag of pellets" = It is a bag of heat! That's what I am paying for. So I want the max °F per dollar. Makes sense to me! If I have the options (many.many this year) and money is tight. My dollars have to go to the highest BTU pellets I can afford. Thus the temp measuring of my pellets(ash was only measured by request!). Many of you don't need to do this, But it is a must for me and I just gotten used to doing it this way. Why waste cash on something with little to no BTU potentials! You can bet your bottom dollar I will have the highest temp pellets I can afford in my stove come the bitter cold! Most of these brands did not make MY CUT for cold weather pellets! Again sorry if I offended your brand.

As always Your mileage may very and do not take my word for anything here! Test all brands yourself. Your results will very and your overall outcome will be different. I more or less was just sharing results and the method of my testing or auditioning of pellets for my next purchase. Always try before you BUY is a safe bet!

Time for a break, Hope this was fun for you and you all take care.

jay

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
Hey Jay

Your Greene Team show a bag date of 11/09? Is 09 correct?

Im only asking because mine from 11/08 are awesum in size and quality. Very consistant and excellent size. Most under 3/4"

02/09 are horrible for size quality. many over 1.5 and some as much as 3 plus. 03/09 are better but not as consistent as the 11/08.

Yup, got 4 ton at one time, 3 or 4 different run dates. 11/08 are the best of the lot.

edit: ps, I was wondering if you would puase for a while. This is alot of work on your end. Thanks for the great info !!!!!

Geno

gbreda said:
Hey Jay

Your Greene Team show a bag date of 11/09? Is 09 correct?

Im only asking because mine from 11/08 are awesum in size and quality. Very consistant and excellent size. Most under 3/4"

02/09 are horrible for size quality. many over 1.5 and some as much as 3 plus. 03/09 are better but not as consistent as the 11/08.

Yup, got 4 ton at one time, 3 or 4 different run dates. 11/08 are the best of the lot.

edit: ps, I was wondering if you would puase for a while. This is alot of work on your end. Thanks for the great info !!!!!

Geno

Yes 11/09 is the correct date. I will not be testing them anytime soon!

jay

jay[/quote]

Damn, those are fresh. Almost like you cut your own cord wood, only less work.

No worries on the testing, kick back for a while and enjoy the Omega. My Greene Teams are burning great and heating with no problems. Notice a bit of ash, but it is light and fluffy. Almost 2/3 ton burned and the ash pan was about 50-60 percent last night when I emptied it for the first time.

Geno

gbreda said:
jtakeman said:

jay

Damn, those are fresh. Almost like you cut your own cord wood, only less work.

No worries on the testing, kick back for a while and enjoy the Omega. My Greene Teams are burning great and heating with no problems. Notice a bit of ash, but it is light and fluffy. Almost 2/3 ton burned and the ash pan was about 50-60 percent last night when I emptied it for the first time.

Geno

Sales rep at lowes said the were delivered the week I purchaesd them. Just about right off the truck. Last ton they had of them too! I guess they move them quickly!

jay

Jay. You did a great job very informative! Thanks.

Ditto as well!! Very informative.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this!

BTU said:
countk said:
Ditto as well!! Very informative.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this!

If there is anyone reading this who considers themselves an "EXPERT" with an Excel spreadsheet, please "PM" me...tks

Sorry BTU, I am nowhere near an expert at anything. But I have been known to test a pellet or 2 in my day! :lol:

Thanks to all for the nice remarks. It has been fun. I would also like to thank all the people that offered to send Gift cards and pellets by mail(that would have to be pricey).

See you in the forums.
jay

Jay, let me add to the above forum members comments......spending all the time you did (not to mention the traveling/buying part of that), was a big undertaking that I know is appreciated by MANY on this forum.

Not everyone will agree with all the test results, but that's true about most anything in life. Hopefully people will take what you've done, and will make educated decisions on their pellet buying. I appreciate what you did BIG TIME!

Thank you!

Your friend, MM

Status
Not open for further replies.