Big Bummer - Can't clean the chimney myself

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, was all excited as I picked up some 3/8' chimney rods and a 6" steel brush at the local hardware store, and as a plus they were all 15% off.
So, the rods were 4' each and somewhat flexible, so I was thinking that I would have no problem making the small bend..perhaps 10 degrees or so up to the chimney.
So, spent Sat morning taking out the burn tubes (seemed to be a PITA getting those little pins out) and got the metal thinging holding up the fire bricks, along with the fire bricks out....I was ready to go :)
So, put the brush on the rod, and realize that I can't make the 90 degree bend as the insert is very low on the hearth (floor level)...darnit!!!.
Knew that this was going to go nowhere, so after dropping a few f bombs trying to get the burn tubes out I thought I would at least try to see if the brush fit.... I just tried sticking the brush up the liner for haha's....and realized that even though I had the right brush, I should probably go with a poly as I am sure if I could make the bend I would have just got the darned thing stuck up there :)
So, I guess I am calling the sweep this year....maybe I'll try some shorter rods and a poly brush for next year.

Some of the poly brushes are pretty stiff too, so look for a softer one if you need it to deform. The one I got was stiff & a real tight squeeze in an "ovalized" 6" flex liner. I plan on trimming the brush a bit before next time. There are different stiffnesses of rods too.
No way to clean from above I assume?

Its more money out of pocket but another option is the sooteater. The whip head is only about 2" in diameter and the rods are flexy enough to make a u turn.

...and the reason you are cleaning from the bottom up ?
Most stove flues are done top down for the exact problem you are now having. It is near impossible for you to bend the FG rods 90 degrees.
Some high pitched roofs are difficult, not impossible, with the right safety tools.
It may be worthwhile to hire a professional sweep.

I got the plastic (like sprinkler pipe) rods that are pretty large diameter and flex pretty well. I've also had problems with a poly brush so went back to metal.
I have to say, the SootEater looks intriguing. It should be gentler on the liner and easier to push up there, but I'll probably have to get two for the length.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.
Can't sweep from the top due to the roof height/pitch.....well, I guess I could with some safety equipment, but our family had a very close friend fall from a ladder about 5 years ago, and it now in a wheelchair from the fall. (Was only about 35 with a baby on the way) After this accident, my wife doesn't want me up on a ladder....and I don't even have one that could reach.
The sweep that came last year cleaned from the bottom up and used a drill to spin the bruch while cleaning.....I'm thinking he might have had 3 foot rods and a poly brush...maybe I will pay closer attention this year and check out his gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.