Big Changes for the Keystone & Chimney!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Had a chimney sweep out and found some cracks in the clay liner just above the thimble. Long story short - decided to be safe to reline the chimney ASAP. The sweep was able to work me in and today they installed a new liner. It was an interesting install to watch as I took the day off from work.

Here's what I got. 304L stainless steel Rhino smooth rigid liner - 6 inch diameter with 1/2 inch wrap insulation. To get it in, they had to bust out the clay liner which left plenty of room.

The big change for the Keystone is that I had the sweep knock a new hole in my masonry chimney wall and changed the stove from top vent to rear vent with the new liner. The idea was to reduce the "visual" footprint of the stove in my small living room in my small drafty house. The sweep had a disc that had a laser centered in it and it was designed to fit in a round flue collar and project on the surface behind the chimney. This allowed him to mark the center to cut the hole and it worked great.

I also went double wall stove pipe to the new liner.

As my brother said when he saw the new set-up, the Keystone looks more upscale and it does. It kind of makes me think of a small old cabinet TV from back in the day the way it sets in the room.

I fired the stove up, I think my draft is better - though not sure how much. It is a toasty 76 degrees in the living room and the flame view is beautiful.

This install also puts on hold my effort to reline my 2nd chimney for a 2nd woodstove. That whole project will have to wait until my wallet recovers!

Thanks!
Bill

Pics of it.... Ah, you know the drill.

Just wondering - I got a new Keystone and now a new chimney liner to make it work. Would the liner qualify as part of the 30% tax credit as part of the stove install?

Pics - some day I'll get technically smart enough to upload, but first - let me finish the remodel of my living room.

I think I was loosing a goodly amount of heat with the top vent as now with the block-off plate over it, there is much heat radiating from it.

I was also surprised that my old single wall, only being installed for about 1-1/2 months had a goodly amount of corn flake type cresote in it - but none in the clay liner, except around the thimble. I'm wondering if my first month's of burning at lower temperatures may have not heated the stove pipe enough to move the creosote up the chimney. Anyone else seen this - creosote in the stove pipe but not in the chimney?

Oh, for cleaning the new horizontal stove pipe, it looks like I won't have to take it down as I think I can remove the top vent block-off plate and run my brush through that opening, clean the pipe and push the creosote into the chimney liner to fall down to the clean-out.

Thanks,
Bill

I kind of wish I would of vented my Keystone that way as well, but I would of installed a tee in the back of the stove. Do you have access to your tee cap through your ash dump clean out? Or did the sweep leave the cap off?

Todd said:
I kind of wish I would of vented my Keystone that way as well, but I would of installed a tee in the back of the stove. Do you have access to your tee cap through your ash dump clean out? Or did the sweep leave the cap off?

They extended the pipe from the tee down to the cleanout door and put a cap on it. I open the cleanout door and pull off the cap. The cleanout door is in my basement.

My next re-learning curve with this stove is to figure out what a "normal" reading on my magnetic surface thermometer on the double wall stove pipe. Can't set on the couch and read it any more ;)

Thanks!
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.