Big Mo pipe problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Timd

Nov 5, 2019
CT
Just bought a big mo all nighter about a 1980 model. It calls for a 6 inch stove pipe but no way will a 6 inch fit to the back of the stove, either male nor female. end. Tried crimping the male more than it was, no luck. Female end is close but no way will it go on without making a cut to open it up more. It shouldn’t be this difficult. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the collar is out of round?

Is there a buildup of rust on the outside of the collar?

Also sometimes the folded seam on some stove pipe will give me trouble getting it over the end of another piece of pipe or stove collar. Put the female end with the seam side down on a hard surface and flatten the seam down with a hammer and see if it it fits then.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Many stoves of this time period have this issue because they used water pipe which is the wrong size. There are several adapters out there that do the job.

AKA "appliance adapter."
Nope a regular appliance adapter won't fit these stoves.

This is the 8" version I don't have a 6 on the truck right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_130431.jpg
    IMG_20191105_130431.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 153
Maybe the collar is out of round?

Is there a buildup of rust on the outside of the collar?

Also sometimes the folded seam on some stove pipe will give me trouble getting it over the end of another piece of pipe or stove collar. Put the female end with the seam side down on a hard surface and flatten the seam down with a hammer and see if it it fits then.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Collar seems perfectly round. I’ll try the hammer. Thanks

Collar seems perfectly round. I’ll try the hammer. Thanks

Just get the skirted adapter

Does the adapter open slightly larger than 6”? Also does use of this require using the same brand for the remaining stove pipe? Thanks

Does the adapter open slightly larger than 6”? Also does use of this require using the same brand for the remaining stove pipe? Thanks

The inner part of it fits nicely inside the water pipe collar as it should and the outer part slides over. And no you don't need to use the same brand pipe. It just gets you to standard stove pipe size.

They look like that all the time unless I scrub like hell with a brush and usually dish soap.
And it's worse this time of year, when your hands get more chapped. The dirt burrows into all the cracks. I just never could get in the habit of putting lotion on my hands to keep the skin intact.

And it's worse this time of year, when your hands get more chapped. The dirt burrows into all the cracks. I just never could get in the habit of putting lotion on my hands to keep the skin intact.
It's nowhere near weather to chap my hands here yet. It has to get down to the 20s before that starts for me

It's nowhere near weather to chap my hands here yet. It has to get down to the 20s before that starts for me
Yep, it was like that for me too, many years ago when I was young. ;lol