Big Rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
In my limited experience, I've been using a wedge and 10lb hammer to half big rounds before splitting. Would sawing them in half be easier? I have a MS390 with a 24" bar. I have some rounds that I fear are too long to wedge apart and I don't want to get the wedge stuck in.

I have 2 wedges and an 8 pound mall. I've never buried both wedges and not been able to get them out with the mall. I usually bury one wedge and flip the round over and it comes apart from the other side. If the grain is very knotty or curly it may be easier to cut in half though.

I think you have to take it on a round by round specie by specie basis. First there's bib and there's big. But a clean pc of oak (no branches/crotches) can be split pretty easy no sawing needed. Hickory or some other PITA wood not so much. Rounds that were limbed for big branches can be tough in almost any big wood. A saw and chain that's up to the task might be the way to go.

start splitting pieces off the outside and work your way in.

I can only get small splits off the outside until it won't let go of anymore.

2 wedges, work your way across. The second wedge should release the first wedge. Don't drive in the second wedge if the round didn't crack.

Vertical splitter would eliminate this.

I would think splitting would be easier with the maul and wedges unless the round was very large and/or had some knots, etc.

I've cut into a big round with the chain saw 3 or 4 inches and then pound the wedges in. Three wedges across will split even the biggest round. Exception: Gum. That stuff I leave alone.!!!

I have two wedges, too.
Rare have I gotten both stuck.
In a pinch, I've pounded on the splitting maul to get them out.
At that point, with such a stubborn twisted round though, I've grabbed the saw ...

Wedges are usually faster ....

I have two wedges, too.
Rare have I gotten both stuck.
pffft........I have gotten 3 wedges sunk completely into a 28" round.

When that happens, I pull out the old Monster Maul.......use it as a wedge. It can't get stuck, it is attached to a handle ::-)

Of course, I try my best not to pick up wood that gnarly if I can help it.......that stuff makes me fighting mad :mad:

In my limited experience, I've been using a wedge and 10lb hammer to half big rounds before splitting. Would sawing them in half be easier? I have a MS390 with a 24" bar. I have some rounds that I fear are too long to wedge apart and I don't want to get the wedge stuck in.

I've never liked sawing them at all. Sledge and wedges do it nicely and take a lot less gas and oil to get the job done too. However, a 10 pounder is a bit on the large size. Too big for me. 6 or 8 is plenty and I prefer the 6.

Reactions: smokedragon
I've never liked sawing them at all. Sledge and wedges do it nicely and take a lot less gas and oil to get the job done too.
Normally I would agree with you, but I was in a spot with poor footing, and cramped by other trees/brush/etc.......

Found that noodling the rounds was easier in that tight space than trying to swing a sledge. Plus, I would noodle the round before I cut it off the trunk, really making it easy in a tight spot.

I think it has it's place, but it is my last resort.

Sledge and 4 wedges and sometimes an X-27. I don't have hydraulics. In my burning career I've split maybe 100 cord by hand. Madding! After all that you'd think I'd have a body to die for, but nooooooo! But not to bad for 61.
KIMG0019 (768x1024).jpg

Reactions: mikey517
If you bury and stick 2 wedges and a maul and the sucker still wont pop, may I suggest a nice single round bonfire right where the stubborn SOB sits. Wedges and BTU's released in one fell swoop. Plus, you can make an example of it in front of the rest of the rounds and scare em into submission!;)

Sledge and 4 wedges and sometimes an X-27. I don't have hydraulics. In my burning career I've split maybe 100 cord by hand. Madding! After all that you'd think I'd have a body to die for, but nooooooo! But not to bad for 61.
View attachment 132471

Man, you don't look 61, I look and am 61:) I agree sledge, three wedges and a little chainsaw kerf has always done the trick for me...........

Status
Not open for further replies.