Big Splitting Day Tomorrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Final results.

Cooking some ribeyes over apple here in a few. Worked up a wicked appetite today.

Attachments

• 2011-09-10_19-03-33_744.jpg
    2011-09-10_19-03-33_744.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 276
Yes, that is good for the appetite. Good too in case you eat too much.

Awesome pile of wood Luke!! Good feeling to that done for sure!

Ray

Good job.
Just a nice pile of fire wood. Good to look at. :)

lukem said:
Final results.
Beautiful...just beautiful. :)
Wish I had some Oak as grey as that row in the background...

Good job well done.

Got a bit of it stacked up last night, about 2/3 cord. Based on that I'm guessing the split pile is about 3 cord. And another 3 unsplit. But, I'm a terrible judge. There are 15 truckloads.

lukem said:
Final results.

Cooking some ribeyes over apple here in a few. Worked up a wicked appetite today.

Nice job on the splitting, how did the ribeyes over apple taste?

zap

zapny said:
lukem said:
Final results.

zap

They were amazing. Highly recommend it. Crispy on the outside and still mooing in the middle.

lukem said:
zapny said:
lukem said:
Final results.

zap

They were amazing. Highly recommend it. Crispy on the outside and still mooing in the middle.

Mmmmm. just the way I like it. Apple is quite versatile in smoking, but another wood that is great for steaks is pecan.

chvymn99 said:
lukem said:
zapny said:
lukem said:
Final results.

zap

Mmmmm. just the way I like it. Apple is quite versatile in smoking, but another wood that is great for steaks is pecan.

80 percent Apple 20 percent hickory. Split into 2x2 coals ready in 20mins.

Good Job lukem.

I have never tried apple. funny thing is I have 5 big apple trees.
Now hickory I know. 3 of my apple trees I want out next year. Big Old trees. good time to find out.

mecreature said:
Good Job lukem.

I have never tried apple. funny thing is I have 5 big apple trees.
Now hickory I know. 3 of my apple trees I want out next year. Big Old trees. good time to find out.

I had 3 big overgrown apple trees in my yard. I whacked one back to pretty much the trunk last Feb and it rebounded like crazy this spring and summer. Should be back to good production next year. Going to do the same to another this winter...and then the last one next winter.

I saved everything 2" and up. Apple is my favorite, followed closely by hickory. Sometimes I'll mix in some cherry too. Best is a full load of apple, and then some bark from a shagbark...but just a little..less than 10%.

that pile of wood is still a very nice days work

Got all but a few splits stacked up last night. I've been working on it a little each evening this week. The pile yielded just over 2 cord once stacked. Looks like my initial estimate of 3 cord was way off, although I'm not really surprised.

Not I get to work on the 2nd half. I'm hoping for 5 cord once it is all said and done, but will probably be more like 4.

Some of the dead stuff went directly in the shed for next winter, and some of the other stuff from the pile got split and stacked earlier this year. So 5 cord total is probably a realistic number from 15 heaping half ton loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.