Big Win - First full months gas bill after EKO goes online.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
Not that I ever doubted the EKO..........but I have to tell you I've never been excited to get a gas bill until this month. My bill today for January was $46.86 in natural gas. For reference my bill for the coldest month last year was $390. And if I were a betting man I would say there were no months in 2007/2008 that were as cold as January 2009. It was brutal.

The real kicker - my $390 last year bought me enough gas to keep my house at 64 during the day, 58 at night. My house is 70 degrees this year! Life is good...just wanted to share....nothing you all don't already know....

Congrats - I found the same thing with my EKO, but it was my electric bill that took the hit. Its a good feeling!

Come this April I will be all set to give my wife $3000.00 in loo of oil. That, and with the house and shop being totally warm and comfortable. This will make for a happy wife. As well, I really enjoyed the whole installation process. Now on to the task of tweaking the controls.

Ahhh wood heat. I have had the oil gun off for a year now. I keep all my stats set at 72* My living room stat is set at 75* when we are home. Set back t-stat turns down to 72* at 11:00 P.M. Life is good!!

I had a glitch with my controller over the weekend and had to shut the boiler down and turn the gas back on for 24 hours. I'll be curious to see what that does to my monthly bill. I'm guessing around $20. It was in the single digits at night and low teens during the day. Turned down all the stats to 70. When I got the wood back up and running, my wife (who had been running around with a sweater on) said, "It's good to have my house back."

Stee, congrats! That's a lot of saved $.
Any wild guess how much wood you burned that month?

oldmilwaukee said:
Stee, congrats! That's a lot of saved $.
Any wild guess how much wood you burned that month?

Love the name, Old Milwaukee! The only shocker in January was in fact the amount of wood I consumed. With a week straight of below zero lows (-10, -15) and single digit highs, along with a pretty chilly rest of the month, I burned through about two cord. I still think I should be able to heat my home with around five, maybe six cord a year (3200 sq feet) assuming we have more moderate temps. We had a nice warm up around here last week and I was able to go a full day between fires with my storage. So my wood consumption for early Feb has been amazingly low. I've probably burned less than a half cord and we're more than half way through the month.

Good times nonetheless. I'll feel better next year when I have more wood than I need (I plan to have at least 8 cord stacked). This year being my first year I didn't know exactly what to expect. So my woodpile is getting a little light....makes me a little more "aware" of exactly how much I throw into the EKO...

I have had the propane valve to my boiler completely shut off since Dec. 26, 2008.

My house, hot water and hot tub have all been heated 100% on wood heat from my EKO40 system at a temperature setting that we have never had in the prior 14 years using propane (house is at 73 at all times, maybe down to 71 when it was 22 below zero last month, hot tub is at 104 F 24/7).

As a matter of fact, I have been so impressed with my system that I am now an offical dealer for EKO, Biomass, Attack and Futura systems (I'm working very closely with Dave at Cozy Heat) and mainly cover northern Michigan.

Check out my website at www.upnorthenergy.com and let me know if I can help !!!!

NWM

Stee,

Thanks... OldMilwaukee is my ebay name too - had it since 1998, was glad to see it wasn't taken on the boiler room. BTW, I see you prefer Milwaukees (Second) Best. :)

I just got my Tarm up and going here in Feb, and I'm very low on wood... in fact I had none cut, but I have a bunch of oak timber cutoffs (and culled 3x3 oak floor joists) from where I framed the house 4 years ago. Those burn great... but the stack is already getting small, and the ones that were stored in the barn are already gone. :eek: I've resolved to start cutting and splitting (for next year) as soon as the weather breaks. Around here, you can also buy wood for $40/truckload, delivered but I assume anything I could buy now would be too green.

Again, congrats on the $ savings - it is good to get some real world # comparisons. My boiler is in a new construction, so I'll (hopefully) never know what it would take to heat this house with fossil fuel. Your #'s give me a good guess that it wouldn't be pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.